Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever severly damage a blade?! I ran over a brick as a kid with my lawnboy and did some serious damage to the blade. I also borrowed my stepfather's craftsman tractor and went up an edge of sidewalk and badly damaged the blade, the sidewalk, and the engine even shut off. I tried to convince him it never ran too well. Sorry I am losing it....being trapped in my house and all.;)

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
the last time I damaged some seriously was about 2 years ago I was when mowing a vacant lot and ran over a circle of rocks that was forming a camp fire pit

·
Registered
965 Posts
That rock that my deck has been clearing all season, all of a sudden grew an didn't clear the deck anymore....hmmmmmm

I might have forgot to raise the deck from 3" to 3 1/2"though, I cant remember!!;) :eek:

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
A couple of years ago I was mowing a yard for the first time of the season. It bordered a huge reed patch. Did you know that a rusty horseshoe peg is the same color as reeds when they're first starting to grow? Well I'm cutting through these new reed shoots and all of a sudden there is a loud whack noise and the mower starts shaking. I pulled the mower forward and there was a 1" thick horseshoe peg sticking out of the ground. I looked at the mower deck and the blade was destroyed plus the spindle was broken into several pieces. So I drove 60 miles to the Dixie dealer to pick up a new spindle and 3 hours later I was cutting again.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
A few years ago, I caught one of those corkscrew dog anchors with 10" of steel cable in the blades of a WB.Before I knew it, it chopped the top off the anchor, and wrapped the steel cord around the spindles.Ruined the gators, that was it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ken, that must have been spectacular. if i were the customer (who invariably peeks at you from behind the curtains) i would be laughing my ass off!:D

little off topic, i once had an employee sharpen and replace the blade on a pushmower. got out to the first job, i took the push mower to the back of the property to do a fenced area. while i was cutting the blade fell off. the blade and bolt were directly underneath the deck, the washer was nowhere to be found. after a good deal of searching, we discovered that it had gone completely through both sides of a nearby (about 20 yards away) mobile home. fortunately it was abandoned. someone could have died.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I hit the fill pipe for an underground heating oil tank with a nearly new 21" Toro - bent the shaft and cost me $600 for a new short block. That was great. Blades are cheap compared to other replacement parts. My Walker has shear pins on the blade so if I hit something, the blade falls off and the other moving parts are saved.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Ever have a rock chase you? That’s something I never thought could happen but it did. Very hilly lawns in CT I am cutting next to a hedge on the lowest point of the yard as I come to the end of my pass I turn to my right and start to go up the hill I'm on a 25hp lazer I get about 10 feet up there’s a joke of a stone wall on my left and my front caster just every so slightly bumps a rock they all look like cannon balls. It starts rolling at my deck I pull the controls back hard and I am being chased down the hill driving back words by this rock. Sadly there is a hedge and it was a short run when I stopped it rolled right under the deck and Bamm. It managed to get above the blade then bent it into a perfect 90-degree angle pointing straight down. That ended that day hour from shop with only 2 hours of light time to go home.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah when my wife thought she could mow off x-mas tree stumps,It not only bent the blade ,it bent the crank shaft on a 21' toro with a slip clutch,And she wondered why it vibrated so much.

(FDLFWUTE)

Freinds don't let freinds wives use their equipment

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.