Sewer line ditch settling

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
My buddy had a sewer line replaced recently. Plumber came out and did all the work. Somehow a few days later, guy's water line broke due to something in plumber's work. So plumber came and replaced water line to the meter. We had some heavy rain last night, which is the first rain since the work had been done. He sent me this pic today showing part of the ditch appears to be settling. He's concerned because it started doing very similar prior to the water line breaking. Is his plumber going to be replacing a water line again, or will he be good just adding more topsoil?

Attachments

• 34951.jpeg
    34951.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 96

BillK01

LawnSite Member
Had our water line replaced 3 years ago and it settled along the entire length of the ditch. I think it’s just natural settling - never had any issues with the replacement water line. I’d advise him to let it settle in fully before worrying too much about reseeding. I didn’t and now I have a 6” deep rut that I’m going to have to fix and reseed etc three years later since it makes me crazy. :confused:

OP
Y

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
This was this am after torrential rain last night and prior to more torrential rain this afternoon.

Attachments

• 20200723_083958.jpg
    20200723_083958.jpg
    945.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200723_084010.jpg
    20200723_084010.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200723_084053.jpg
    20200723_084053.jpg
    835.4 KB · Views: 81

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
They either don’t have or didn’t bother compacting the ditch when they finished. Pipes should be fine as long as they were on the bottom of the trench. Fill it back up and get a compactor.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Clearly wasn’t compacted properly. Make them come back with topsoil and compact it.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I don’t know what your
Clearly wasn’t compacted properly. Make them come back with topsoil and compact it.
I don’t know what your definition of properly compacted is. Maybe if you filled it a few inches at a time and ran a plate compactor through the ditch. I always drive the ditches with the backhoe driving in the ditch and they still settle.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
They should have backfilled with gravel, compacted, then soil, compacted.

OP
Y

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
The problem is this is the second time this ditch has collapsed this bad. Same plumber. Buddy said the guy is coming back Tuesday with more dirt. I may go by tomorrow to see how much worse it got after today's rain.

Top Forums