1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sharpen Shovels?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lanelle, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering how many of you grind a new edge on hand tools with cutting edges such as shovels after it has been worn down? (Yeah, I know that big toys are more fun, but we all have to pick up a shovel to plant things occasionally.)

2. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Don't hurt to put a sharp edge on them occasionally. It only takes a minute or two with a grinding wheel. A file works too but takes a little longer.

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I always shapen shovels, grading rakes, sod knives ect. It only takes a couple of minutes and makes life easier. In my opinion anything that makes life easier is worthwhile.

Jim L

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen shovels too. the RBG works great for shovels, axes also on the RBG.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Not only on new hand tools but all the time...only takes seconds to do and makes a world of differance.

6. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen all of my tools every morning before I use them. The few minutes it takes to do this saves a lot of time and effort later in the day

7. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I guess I must be pretty lax in my eqpt maintenance...

I sharpen my stone hammers and chisels a few times a year, for knives we use utility knives with throw-away blades. Pruners and the like are sharpened before a pruning project.

Other than my flat shovels self-sharpening themselves, I don't sharpen any of my hand tools.

But I spend a few hours every few weeks on my brick saws... :)

8. site

site LawnSite Member

If they would last long enoug I might consider it. With my current crew the life expectancy of a shovel is 3 weeks. They are usually broken before the sticker is worn off.