Sharpening chain for bigger bite

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by ed2hess, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Member
    Male

180 degrees from the way you have it pictured. Observe the height of the rider, if it needs filing then you remove the gauge and file the rider down some with a file and recheck with the gauge.

I do the same (it sounds) as what RDALawns has stated except I will use the gauge.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Are Oregon better?

3. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Oregon chains are easier to sharpen. Sthl chains are harder metal . And seem to be a tad slower cutting chain.

4. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

My saw runs a 3/8 chain 72 drive Link chain. It's a extremely fast cutting saw. I notice the speed of cut most on smaller saws.

hort101 likes this.
  5. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Member

Buddy of mine swears to grind the riders down to the line on them. He does it with the bench grinder when he sharpens them the first time. His jonsered 2188 with a 24" bar will probably pull a chain with the rider ground completely off and ask for more.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am going slow with min air sander it definitely keeps some worn chains useable.

7. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Member

I use a bastard file and a guide from lowes. Made by husky. I am not as crazy as my friend, that 2188 is crazy compared to my 450 husky I think that is what is.

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member