• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

sharpening hedgers

TURFLORD

LawnSite Senior Member
I use a 4.5 angle grinder with a half worn out cutting disk. works great. The secret is the worn out disk. When they're new they're not very true and will hop alot. Then use a file to clean up the back side. Oh yeah, use a wire wheel to clean off whatever plant goop has built up on the blades. I have a couple of Little Wonders and I remove the blades from the machine first.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
TURFLORD said:
I use a 4.5 angle grinder with a half worn out cutting disk. works great. The secret is the worn out disk. When they're new they're not very true and will hop alot. Then use a file to clean up the back side. Oh yeah, use a wire wheel to clean off whatever plant goop has built up on the blades. I have a couple of Little Wonders and I remove the blades from the machine first.
I add a sandpaper pad on top of the cut off disk and use that combination to sharpen both blades and hedge trimmers.

geogunn

LawnSite Silver Member
I disassemble mine and use a six inch fine flat file. it takes longer but does a really good job while extending the life of the cutters.

GEO :)

OP
G

garth1967

LawnSite Senior Member
Turf Docter said:
We use a dremel tool or a die grinder would work.
thanks for the replies men i used the angle grinder today its worked a treat nice and sharp but was a bit awkward i wouldnt mind get getting this dremel tool you speak of ive seen these advertised a tv