Lawn Care Forum banner

Shindaiwa LE260 - Is this normal during break in?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  K/B 
#1 ·
I just bought a LE260 edger saturday and have only used it for about 2 hours but Ive been experiencing some things that I think are a bit weird;
1) It dies if idle for more than about 20-30 seconds.
2) At low throttle the head makes a clicking noise that sounds like the blade is hitting the shield but there are no signs of any rubbing any where on the shield.
3) Occasional vibration, so bad that the shaft starts "jumping" or wobbling like rubber.
4) It has a strange smell after it gets warmed up. I dont know how to describe the scent other than kinda like something burning...

My only other experience with Shindaiwa is a T282 trimmer and a EB802 blower and neither of them have ever given me any problems and especially not the smell. Could the smell be because of the pre-epa style muffler? I just wanted to know if these sorts of things are normal during the break in on an edger or does this sound like a problem? Id appreciate any input!

#2 · (Edited)
It sounds like something binding along the driveshaft. I'm gathering you bought this used since the LE260 is not a current model. Does it rev up quickly and easily? This edger should not have any noticeable vibration or make weird sounds at the head. I would suggest pulling the shaft from the engine head and clean up the inner shaft and relube. Does the blade turn at idle? If so, you might even have a clutch or clutch spring problem.

While you have the shaft off, spin the gearhead by hand with the inner driveshaft to check operation. You may even have some rust down where the shaft seats so it won't go in all the way... You can PM me if you need more help figuring it out. If this thing is brand new then the dealer didn't assemble it correctly. Take it back and have him physically and visually confirm to you that the inner shaft is not damaged(especially at the ends of the flex shaft)

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply and willingness to help Rob! I'm sorry I didnt clarify on the original post but, yes, the edger is brand new. I was really surprised to see that they still had it. I really dont want to go back to the dealer this early on and complain about it until I'm certain something is wrong... This was my first purchase from them and I was very happy with my experience there, so much that I wished I would have bought all of my other equipment from them. I'm planning on buying another mower and some handhelds soon and I'd hate to burn a bridge with this family owned business especially since I'd definitely like another discounted price! I'm gonna put the 260 through some extensive work this weekend so, I'll see if it continues all of these things and go from there I guess. Thanks again

#4 ·
I would take it back to the dealer immediately and let them know what the problems are, they should check it out. I would not continue using it until you determine what the problem is, as you could end up doing damage

It's quite common for new equipment to emit a hot smell for the first while of use, as any coatings or grease on the muffler or any other component that heats up gets burned off. Some 2-cycle oils can also give off weird smells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.