Shindaiwa T242 vs. T261

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jake's Lawn Service, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I am looking at a new trimmer for the upcoming season and want to get a Shindaiwa. Has anyone tried the new T242? Also, what is the real difference between the T242 and the T261?
    Jake

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I've actually got a Shindaiwa T270 or two, THE monster of old. They quit making them, so I bought 3 or 4. I still have 1 or 2 that have never had gas in them. Make me an offer.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

well the 242 has to be better than the pos 231! dont ever buy a 231!

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You likely will not be able to after this year, unless there are left overs from production. The T242 engine will be the replacement for the T231. Another new trimmer is also in the works that is based on the design of the T242 which will replace the God awful T272.

The T242 engine kicks around like the old T230 engine, so that's got to be a good sign for something.

5. Jake's Lawn Service

So which model would you recommend buying, the T261?
    Jake

6. Pioneer01

Pioneer01 LawnSite Member
    from Denver

I was looking at those last week and the sales guy was telling me the new 242's have the new speed feed head (which is sweet mite I add...) and they also have a shorter shaft by about 6", they also seem a bit lighter.

7. Jake's Lawn Service

Is it true that the T261's are longer? I am 6'2" and still growing so I need a trimmer that is long enough for me
    Jake

8. lawnboy dan

i have a 272 and actually like it. its got tons of power but its very heavy. madey compared to the old 270 its a pos but i never used a 270 to compare it to. i bet its like comparing the 230 to the aweful 231 -that i can relate to since i have both. i am gald shin is replacing the 231 as it is hurting their reputation . i bought a mint 230 curved shaft at a flea mrk and will put its engine on my sorry 231 .

9. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

AHHHHH Ive got 3 t260s on the shelf that never had gas in em ready for service. NOOOOOOOOO They aint for sale. lol We love our old 260s.

10. lawnboy dan

i dont blame you! i have 3 230,s and plan to shelf them and save them for the future.