1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Shindaiwa's hard starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Joemowz, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Joemowz

Joemowz LawnSite Member

I have 2 Shindaiwa T-230 string trimmers and both are real hard starting. I'm getting fuel in the engine, and its hard to pull the starting rope until I remove the spark plug. I pull and fuel spills out of the cylinder. They seem to be flooding when they are sitting overnight in the truck. I have replaced the plug, fuel filter, air filter.
    NOTE: When I loosen the gas caps overnight they seem to start better. Seems like a venting problem. The gas caps don't have vents on them.
    Thanks in advance, Joe

2. pamp99

pamp99 LawnSite Member

sounds like the needle is letting fuel pass you may have the carb rebuilt and see if that helps

3. Joemowz

Joemowz LawnSite Member

Hey Pamp- Do you know if buying a carb re-building kit would have the needle I need?

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Joemowz

Joemowz LawnSite Member

Hey Oldtimer, thanks for the info..... I printed out the parts # page and will see my dealer. I never realized that info was "on line". I'll replace the breathers on both trimmers and let you know how I make out. YES, I leave the trimmers flat(on the tank guard) when they are not being used. I only have the problem when its warm, and sunny day. On a cool, overcast day they don't seem to flood out and start easy.
    Thanks again for your help....a repair shop could tell you anything and hit you with a big bill for something simple.
    THANKS, Joe

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

a rebuild kit will have a needle in it

7. Joemowz

Joemowz LawnSite Member

Viper- I'll try the breather ( or vent ) first, then go for the re-building kit next. I can't believe these Shin trimmers. One is 3 years old the other is 1 year old. My old Shin trimmer I had for 11 years!!! Maybe its time to switch to Red Max.
    Thanks, Joe