1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Shindiaiwa M231 vs Shindiaiwa M242

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by mowerdude777, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

I want a split boom for Christmas and I want a shindiaiwa I really like my T231 trimmer. So I decided to add another shindiaiwa, I want to know what will be better for my uses of it.

SPARE EDGER

ROTO TILLER

HEDGER

POLE PRUNER

BTW I will not get the attachments with the present only the engine.

If you think I should not get either and get a different modal tell me what brand and model

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. Tennesseepowerstroke

Tennesseepowerstroke LawnSite Senior Member

Have you located a new M231 for sale? I have looked for a new one without any luck as it has been discontinued. I have a M231 and like it even though it seems a little underpowered for edger and trimmer when the grass is thick. It works great with the pole pruner and hedge trimmer attachment. I would not be interested in the roto tiller attachment. I have one of the small Honda tillers which works great. I have looked at the M242 and it appears to me to be a "cheaper made" tool. I may purchase it though as I want to stay away from the 4 stroke [M2510]. According to the brochure the M242 with a trimmer is a tad shorter. It is not much but at 6'3" I don't want a shorter shaft.

3. mowerdude777

Ok I did not realize that the M231 was discontinoued I looked in my 2008 shindiaiwa product guide:laugh::dizzy::hammerhead: So I am also concidering an echo PAS230 since I could also dethatch with it,

BTW for those of you who know how it the echo dethather attachment

4. Tennesseepowerstroke

If I were going with the Echo, I would buy the PAS 260 for the extra power when trimming and edging.

5. mowerdude777

It will be a spare edger I have a realy nice redmax edger but if it is in the shop i will need a back up and I allready have 2 trimmers

6. Tennesseepowerstroke

My M231 became my backup trimmer today. I found a dealer with a couple of new T270 Shindaiwa trimmers. He now only has one.

7. mowerdude777

Nicee :):) Tell me how you like it after you get to use it

8. mowerdude777

Also looking in to a Husqvarna 128LD

9. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Why? You have 2 trimmers already and this isnt a Kombi type machine is it?

10. Tennesseepowerstroke

I got the chance to use it today. It has a lot better power to weight ratio than the M231. It seems to take a minute or two to warm up. My M231 is ready to go when you start it. I had considered going with a Stihl trimmer but wanted to stay away from the 4 mix. I don't think I will ever look back. I like the Stihl products but a lot are not commercial rated [300 hours]. Stihl doesn't make it very easy to find out which ones are.