Shocked! should i be?

tstutz

LawnSite Senior Member
I attended a pre proposal meeting in which the city is trying to bid out the city cemetary which is 21 acres, and a nearby park which is 5.8 acres. this is the first time in 3 years they have reopended the bidding for the cemetary. previously the city had been maintaining it.

they said on average it took 35 hours to mow and 75 hours to weedeat the entire cemetary.

on the other hand, the park was averaged at 3.5 hours to mow. trimming time was not available.

the previous company that mowed the park was present and when asked he would not reveal his winning bid from the previous year. i got to thinking and thought the information for this has to be public, so after the meeting i went to the city office and requested it. what they told me made me want to forget bidding on it. they said the company was getting $110 per time.:hammerhead:

is it just me or does that seems pretty low. im going to do some more figures but im almost positive that i cant make much of a profit doing it for that price.

we were told that the winning bidder would be decided souly on price. the cheapest gets it. of course they have to meet the requirments set to place a bid.
what are you thoughts?????

razor1

LawnSite Bronze Member

BigGreen1

LawnSite Senior Member
"the previous company that mowed the park "

$110 for three and a half hours is way low. The only reason it makes sense is if he made up for it on the cemetary. If he was doing the park only he gets the lowballer award.

Tim

hitechlm

LawnSite Senior Member
he said that the city mowed the cemetery and the 5.8 acre park was subbed out for 110 per occurrences, which realistically should only take 1 guy two hours with minimal trimming. So 110 for 2 hrs really isn't that bad

OP
tstutz

tstutz

LawnSite Senior Member
yes im sorry if i was not clear. the city has mowed the cemetery.
the company did the park for $110.
hitechlm- the city has done the mowing and trimming for the park except for last year and they are the ones that said it took 3.5 hours. this park is not just all grass. it has a stream that was sometimes mowed with a tractor and brush hog setup. the company that mowed it last year said there are some spots that are very hard on a ztr to handle.

OP
tstutz

tstutz

LawnSite Senior Member
"the previous company that mowed the park "

$110 for three and a half hours is way low. The only reason it makes sense is if he made up for it on the cemetary. If he was doing the park only he gets the lowballer award.

Tim

No, he did not mow the cemetary. i do know that he had 1 or 2 commercial accounts other than the park.

LOWBALLER!!!!

MarcSmith

LawnSite Fanatic
sorry I missed the sub doing only the park for 110... if its 3 hours total including trimming then thats still on 35 or so per hour...still on the low side... when folks are getting 35 to drop their gate to mow a small resi lot that can be done in 30 minutes...

Cummins343

LawnSite Silver Member
ehhhh that's not to bad.

coolluv

Banned
$15 to $20 an acre is standard for that kind of work. Residential is heading that way. Last year around here they were doing 1/2 acre lots for $15 and $20, can't wait to see what the prices are going to be like this year with even more people laid off and desperate for work. Like a thousand mice fighting over a small piece of cheese. I can't wait.

Dave...

Top Forums