1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Shop Build

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by GravelyGuy, Sep 3, 2012.

1. smitts961

smitts961 LawnSite Senior Member

Would love to see an update!

2. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Got any updates?

3. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

Updates please! I just bought 3 acres and need more ideas!

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think he is on here much any more. Probably to busy working!

5. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

just read through this, shops look nice :)

6. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

7. Triple L

Let's see some updates @GravelyGuy, what's new? Seen your active again

8. OP
    OP
    GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Things are good except for the snow. Man, I hate doing snow removal. I only take care of customers that I have done for years now. No new snow for me. I transition more and more to landscape work every year. I would like to give up mowing completely, but it's very difficult to maintain a full schedule of landscape only work when most of that comes from mowing and fertilizer accounts. I do have some great new equipment since I posted last. I have a 2017 F550 with a SwitchnGo system. I'm currently building my third body for it which will be a landscape type body. I may start mowing from the landscape body this coming year rather than the enclosed trailer. I am building it heavy enough to load anything on it though including my Ditch Witch SK1550 that I bought last year. I had a Toro TX1000 also that gave me nothing but problems. Toro bought it back from me and gave me a new one which I immediately sold.

9. Triple L

Wow congratulations on doing so well! I hear ya on getting outboo snow, that is my thoughts exactly too! Same thing with landscaping, most of my landscape jobs come from my maintenance accounts and it would be difficult to stay booked if we didn't mow...

I dream of a switch and go, just have such a hard time justifying central hydraulics and the hook and the body's... You still solo or have some full time helpers?

Any regrets not staying narrow and going all out with the ditch witch? I just figure the day I buy one I'll have 3 jobs lined up with narrow access and the machine won't fit and I'll regret not buying something 36" wide but stepping up to something like the 1550 is night and day in production

10. OP
    OP
    GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I use the electric winch, no central hydraulics. It will handle way more than you think. I have a 4000 lb dumpster that I can fit 13 yds of mulch in and it will load that. I am all about efficiency. I like to go in with plants and mulch, rip out an entire landscape and replace it all in one day. I can't think of a faster way to do it than with this truck and my 1550. It is expensive though, no doubt.

I am mostly solo for maintenance and fert. I normally have 1 or at most 2 helpers on landscape jobs.

I have zero regrets on the 1550 right now. It is only 46" wide. It fits most everywhere as is, but you can easily remove a fence section if you have. to. The machine is amazing.