1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Short pieces of pipe

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Oct 10, 2013.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

For the guys who use poly what do you do with your left over short pieces that are too short for another pull? I try to use them where I can but they seem to pile up. I was thinking of getting a fusion machine to join them back into rolls.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

try candlemaking :)

3. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

we usually toss them.
    i would be hesitant to pull a fused joint of non HDPE pipe. also how would you re-coil it?

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

cut 4 ft ers and throw em in service trucks. Cut up the rest and take to the dump , oops transfer station

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

One of the underground utilities guys I know told me they fuse their orange poly conduit and pull it without any trouble. I guess I wouldn't try coil it into 300' rolls maybe just 100'ers.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

be more efficient on pullin to make sure you don't have extra? lol

I know what you mean, but with pvc. I end up using most of it though on the job. the best leftovers are thrown in the van for service and repairs.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the key word is "conduit" - the orange poly I see used by cable TV folks doesn't have to hold any pressure whatsoever

8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

If they are longer then 20 ..30' I just couple it together for lateral pulls

If I'm hand digging a new zone say like a small shrub zone I'll just lay the poly in the trench

Also cut into 4' sections and throw a few in the back of your truck.. Take the rest for an annual dump run

9. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to say but most goes in the dumpster, I will keep some bell end pvc.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

working with new guys on the install crew they always leave stuff way to long..

I suppose its cause I get into them when they cut my pipe or wire to short...

we have a giant pile of sh!t that I always seem to empty in the dumpster...
    Let me know how that works out for you GM/ anyone who tries to fuse it together..

CSR