Should bobcat ransomes 38008-1n transmission be HOT?

Quinn Karnas

LawnSite Member
I have a 48"bobcat ransomes xm4810 with the worm gear drive transmission (not the peerless) and I recently noticed after using it, the transmission feels hot to the touch. Like if you held your hand there you would get burned. I am using it with a sulky but I'm not that heavy (like 120 lbs) so that could be part of the issue? After noticing this, I changed the 20% Lucas oil heavy duty stabilizer and 80% gl5 80w 90 gear oil I was running in it to straight gear oil and this didn't solve the issue. I contacted Lucas about using more Lucas oil stabilizer to help cool the gearbox and they said that I shouldn't use more than 5% in the worm gear drive. My question is, are these gearboxes supposed to run hot or or is mine on its way out? Thanks!

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
My question is, are these gearboxes supposed to run hot or or is mine on its way out? Thanks!

By the time I would get these old gear boxes, they would be cold, so I can not tell you if that is normal......

What I would suggest is drain the oil out of it, then pour it through a shop rag. If you see what glitters like gold, then your gear box is on it's way out......The gears are made out of some kind of brass.

Now that being said, I have no idea how long your gears will last. When I got the machines, the gears would be stripped out, the machine would not move. So if you are not having any problems loading up in to your trailer, don't worry about it. But if it's lurching or jumping, then replace the gear box........

If you refill it, use either Shell or Mobil 80w90 straight, even better if they have it in a syn. I don't buy in to that Lucas hype, it's like STP oil treatment back in the day, a lot of BS.

OP
Q

Quinn Karnas

LawnSite Member
By the time I would get these old gear boxes, they would be cold, so I can not tell you if that is normal......

What I would suggest is drain the oil out of it, then pour it through a shop rag. If you see what glitters like gold, then your gear box is on it's way out......The gears are made out of some kind of brass.

Now that being said, I have no idea how long your gears will last. When I got the machines, the gears would be stripped out, the machine would not move. So if you are not having any problems loading up in to your trailer, don't worry about it. But if it's lurching or jumping, then replace the gear box........

If you refill it, use either Shell or Mobil 80w90 straight, even better if they have it in a syn. I don't buy in to that Lucas hype, it's like STP oil treatment back in the day, a lot of BS.
Thanks for the info. When I replace the oil I will definitely fill it with that stuff and check for sparkleies as well. If the brass gear does shread would you recommend just replacing the gear or swapping out the whole gearbox with a new aftermarket one for like $350?

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
If the brass gear does shread would you recommend just replacing the gear or swapping out the whole gearbox with a new aftermarket one for like $350?

What I would suggest is just replace the whole unit, then when you have plenty of time, take the old one apart and see what a pita it is ;)

Just make sure it is filled with oil, I think most times, they are shipped with out oil. EPA rules are something. :angry: