Should everyone in FL landscaping need a license

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by marcusmac99, Aug 12, 2017.

1. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone,

Could you raise your rates if the FLA Dept of Agriculture required everyone who works in the field to have gone through a week long class and get a license? There would be a fee to take the class and a fee for the license.

Would you think this would also cause the bottom feeders to fall out?

Cheers,

2. Steve5389

Steve5389 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

License for what? Mowing? You already need a license for hardscape and chemicals

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Every state should be like California. :cool2:

River, JLSLLC and Mark Oomkes like this.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't feel the guys mowing should need anything. I'd like to see stricter enforcement and control of construction projects because I've seen a lot of people get hosed. Much of the time of their own doing but still

hort101 likes this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

How would you go about enforcing the having no license rule?
    The licensure fee would need to be high enough to pay for the enforcement agents and administration.
    Do you want an $1800 annual state license and a $700 annual local license with the possibility of having to have multiple local/county licenses depending on your service area and if it spans multiple communities?
    Because it would probably look like that to afford grass cops.

Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't there people driving every day without licenses?

Licensing only hurts law abiding people, not the ones you want to restrict.

JLSLLC, hort101 and RussellB like this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

This is true..
    However the DL has been enacted for so long that it does provide a barrier for MOST people who haven't been trained
    I.e. Were brain washed into thinking we need it, so the vast majority jump through hoops to get it.
    The people who continue to drive without them are also guilty of greater crimes than unlicensed driving
    , it's their disdain for the law in the first place that causes the unlicensed driving.
    Also I might add there's a very rare instance where PROFESSIONAL drivers are making a living without a valid DL.

8. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

I was specifically thinking of a license to operate as a landscaper/grass mower.

You need a license to be a plumber, electrician, a security officer, nursing assistant. I thought it was a plus to be able to advertise to the public that your company is licensed and insured, no?

9. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I think Florida has the most people doing lawn care work with out insurance with out any type of license then any other state.

marcusmac99 likes this.
  10. gettinafarmerstan

gettinafarmerstan LawnSite Senior Member

Plenty of licensed companies out there hosing people every day

Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.