Should everyone in FL landscaping need a license

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by marcusmac99, Aug 12, 2017.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes but if licensed and there is a problem there is a method for tracking the guy down and possibly holding them responsible. I'm not a proponent of excess rules but I hate seeing people use clients as a classroom. We as a nation need more of an apprentice program for skilled trades which I consider landscape construction, grading and hardscaping to be.

hort101 likes this.
  2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't see it. Mowing a yard in the wrong direction isn't going to cause a basement to get flooded or something disasterous. Even if you had everyone licensed there would be no way to enforce.

hort101 likes this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

There's no plus

I'm licensed
    What does that mean?
    I've paid a fee?

Please advertise to the public I've been taxed sufficiently to supply you service and make a living?

On most states a security guard license is for ARMED guards and the specific license means that handgun laws apply differently to them.
    Example would be being able to purchase them in states like California or New York
    Or being able to wear them in open carry like a police officer when this is normal forbade.
    That's the real purpose behind a guard license.
    Not "can work in a mall and hit on your teenage daughter"
    That's specifically a creeper license, it's different and can be found in Cracker Jack boxes and Metallica concerts.

In most states a plumbers license forced one into an apprenticeship program, the purpose behind it is to enforce the unconstitutional union racket.
    A aspiring plumber would have to work for a master plumber for 3-5 years before getting a license of his own, in some cases depending on available work, this might take 10 years.
    All the while you have to pay extortion err I mean union dues so jimmy Hoffa can receive his pension and continue pretending to be dead with Elvis while living in Tahiti.

Unless grandfathered a "mowing license" would mean something similar where you would have to provide proof of employment by a licensed company for s period of time.

This is a racket for two reasons.
    The parent company KNOWS the law.
    So what do they do?
    Then can 1) keep wages artificially low praying on those who are only there to apprentice for their own right to go into business for themselves.
    2) they fire the apprentice before he reaches his date, for no other reason that to prevent him from becoming the competition.
    You don't really need to fire the employee either, seeing as it's a seasonal business you simply state after years of employing him, you don't need his help this season.

The third part of this racket is the gaining of the license usually requires some sort of knowledge test
    Who comes up with the questions and answers?
    A board of your peers
    Basically all the dudes trying to make a ridiculously hard test with confusing answers deliberately aimed at keeping the competition from getting too plentiful.
    After running that guantlet there would be precious few competitors starting new businesses and 80% of the dudes on this site wouldn't be doing this for work, mostly because nothing that's thus hard to make a living at, is worth that kind of punishment.

Trust me,
    I'm ALL for an enforced licensure of landscape professionals.
    I'm just pointing out the dark side of that endeavor.

4. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I'm licensed and insured to work in Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach and Horry County. Had the pleasure of giving each town/county hundreds of dollars for the pleasure of working in their jurisdictions. Damn I feel good about that. I couldn't sleep till I got them paid. Watch what you ask for.

JLSLLC and Mark Oomkes like this.
  5. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started in the lawn service business you needed a occupational license. A few years later the county dissolved it. The only license you need is if you are going to apply chemicals. I'm sure all counties are different. A code enforcement person came up to me while I was cutting a lawn several weeks ago. He told me I had to get 3' tall DPW traffic cones and that It would still be illeagel to park on the street but it would help them to turn a blind eye. I'm talking side streets. Never on a highway. Now I had my cones out (only 2' tall) but that was not good enough. The kicker is he said the county is working on a plan to have all LCO's purchase a permit so we can park on the street! I'm glad I'm retiring in September!

JLSLLC likes this.
  6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm all for people being above board, but I don't see it happening. Too many LCOs here. The cost of lawn police would be astronomical, plus as already stated, what we do is cosmetic, not structural that could cause bodily harm to someone if we do something wrong. The state is going to focus on issues Iike that first. And it's not like customers care. I've never once been asked to produce my business license and only once, for my HOA, to produce proof of insurance.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    JLSLLC and hort101 like this.
  7. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

How do they enforce barbers, hair stylists, nursing aides? Those people cannot damage a basement, but they are required to have a certain amount of training and a license in order to work.

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

You're kidding right? The ones you listed have hands on clients. Little different than mowing a lawn unless of course you are giving your customers haircuts.

9. marcusmac99

There have always been reasons not to require training and a license. But, we have those requirements for certain skills, trades and other services now.

What I was trying to determine was; would it help those of us who consider ourselves professionals, who operate above board by forcing out those who just throw a mower in the back to make $30 bucks a cut?

Should someone who drives a pickup with a 18' trailer behind it be required to have a CDL? Should those who trim palms be required to have a license because you can cause bodily harm to a worker, a customer or someone walking by if you let material fall without securing the drop area below. For those who mow, do they need to be held to a licensed standard because they can run something over, it flies through the air and hits something or someone. Could basic training and licensing requirements have prevented the accident where the worker mowing along the side of a pond fell into the water with the ZTR on top of him where he died by drowning.

10. marcusmac99

A plumber doesn't put hands on people. A dump truck drive doesn't put hands on people and only drives a truck slightly bigger than a F350.