Should I advertise?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cam15, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys so I'm 16yrs old, and have been cutting grass for a couple of years now. I'm not paying taxes and I'm not a real business do you think It would be okay to advertise by putting signs on the side of my truck and trailer? Or do I need to wait till I'm 18?

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for it, but you should be paying taxes and having insurance it will be good for your character. Trust me when you break a window or whatever else not everyone will be your friend. If you worked at McDonald's you would know that the tax man takes away. Plus it will prepare you for the business world.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Cam15

Do I have to be 18 to be a legit business and taxes 80% of the time I get payed in cash so how does that work?

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Bronze Member

check with your state laws as far as being 18 but I don't think so. yes your report your cash as income.. good luck in your future.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Cam15

Thanks for the input.*newusflag*

6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

Taxes are handled by filling out the correct tax forms and sending them in if you hurry you can get this done before the 15th. Your parents can help you. As any income regardless of age is supposed to be reported. What gets tricky is if your income is taxed at your parents tax rate or as your own.

7. OP
    OP
    Cam15

If you go to someone’s home and provide a service, like lawn care or babysitting, you are classified as a “household employee.” As long as you are under age 18 at anytime during the year and a student, your employer doesn’t have to pay social security taxes on you. You are not considered self-employed. You will not owe federal income tax until you make over $5,950 (in 2012). Be careful to add up your household employee jobs and “regular jobs” (where you get a W-2). The total amount earned must be considered when doing your tax return. I found this on teen and taxes.com. Would this apply to me?

8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

Tax laws are funny. At your age best to consult a CPA with your parent(s). As this now can and will effect their taxes. If it wasn't days before deadline I would suggest a consultation with a CPA, but I'm sure finding one with time right now won't be cheap.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Cam15

I was just talking to my mom about it and she knew of someone that we'll talk to soon, thanks for the advice!

hort101 likes this.