Should I always run String Trimmer Full Throttle?

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I was told by a dealer that I should always run string trimmer full throttle. I've read elsewhere that it doesn’t matter. I’m confused.

Which is right? If full throttle is correct, please explain why.

If it doesn’t matter, please explain why.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Running full throttle helps keep the exhaust port clean. But it also means going through more string and a greater chance of causing damage from slinging pebbles, etc.

I don't run at full throttle too often. Most of the time it is 1/2-2/3. In tight spaces, around glass doors/windows/cars, etc. I might run it just above idle.

Best suggestion I can offer is to run the trimmer at high enough rpm to leave a crisp lean cut on the edges while being careful in places where damage could be caused by the trimmer line.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Run enough throttle to do the job at hand, but no more than needed, then when walking to the trailer etc, rev it to full throttle here and there for a few seconds to help clear the ports if you are worried about that sort of thing. Good oil will make that a non issue though. Also, run it fast enough not to lug the engine which, if you lug it, can cause the clutch to slip in thick growth and wear prematurely.

K&L Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Run enough throttle to do the job at hand, but no more than needed, then when walking to the trailer etc, rev it to full throttle here and there for a few seconds to help clear the ports if you are worried about that sort of thing. Good oil will make that a non issue though. Also, run it fast enough not to lug the engine which, if you lug it, can cause the clutch to slip in thick growth and wear prematurely.
Best answer you're gonna get. Dealers are just that, dealers and not necessarily real world operators. Take most of what they tell you with a healthy dose of skepticism.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
The motorcycle throttle habit
“Run run r-r-RUN run run” that sounds cool messes up the smaller 2 cycle engines often overheating and interrupting the cooling/lubrication process and causes severe run-ability problems
Modulate the throttle
Pick a speed and run it there.
You can change speed as needed , just as long as your operating doesn’t sound like your trying to impress people with your noisy motorcycle by constantly reving the throttle

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Bought case Echo Power Blend on an Echo buy 1 get 1 free promo. After about 3 weeks ports were black and black goop literally oozed out. Dealer said run WOT at least 20 seconds on each use before racking and that basically stopped the build up.

No more Power Blend.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
Bought case Echo Power Blend on an Echo buy 1 get 1 free promo. After about 3 weeks ports were black and black goop literally oozed out. Dealer said run WOT at least 20 seconds on each use before racking and that basically stopped the build up.

No more Power Blend.
All 3 of my echo srm225 trimmers and PAS systems get oozing goop on amsoil saber at 90:1. The least amount of goop was achieved by using VP walmart 2 cycle oil.