Should I buy this grasshopper?

Randyc

LawnSite Member
My BIL bought a used 72” cut Grasshopper a few years ago from a dealer. It had been traded in by a guy that used it to cut his own yard who I guess has a lot of money and trades in his mowers when they get a few years old because he wants a new one. When my BIL bought it I think it had about 300 hours on it And it looked almost new.

I think it now has about 1200 hours on it and my BIL wants to trade it in on a new mower because he doesn’t want to spend any money on repairs. Although I don‘t think there is specifically anything wrong with it he is just concerned that he might start having to spend money on it. He is not mechanically inclined and neither am I.

I thought about trying to buy it from him to use for my own properties and was wondering if anyone knows what type repairs might be needed soon for a mower with this many hours on it. I don’t think my BIL has had any real repairs done to it since he has had it. Can someone tell me what things/repairs might probably be needed soon and would theymbe expensive? I’m sure Grasshopper parts aren’t cheap. I could probably buy this from him for two to three thousand dollars. Can anyone give me any input on this?

Thanks

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
The need for more info is great in this one..................

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
It sounds like you know very little about a mower you’re considering buying. 1200 hrs. In 8 years = 150 hrs. per year is nothing.

1. What type of property was it used on, manicured lawn verses overgrown rough field grass and weeds?

2. Did he perform regular maintenance, oil and filter change, replace air filter as needed, clean under deck regularly, run sharpe blades, etc?

3. Overall appearance, does it look taken care of or abused? Are there obvious signs of rust, dents, scraps, etc?

4. Type of seat and suspension.

Have you operated the mower to see how it feels in your hands? Is it comfortable. Is it an out front deck or underneath deck. What brand motor and what horsepower does it have?

There are lots of questions to answer and variables to consider. The mower may be perfect and not need anything and then again, it may have numerous problems waiting to happen.

The motor model and serial number should be located somewhere on the motor, model and serial number of mower on a sticker somewhere on mower.

Take several pics, front, back, sides, underneath deck and post here and you’ll probably get good some advice about you questions.

LawnSite Member
I’m my opinion overall Grasshoppers are built like a tank, but you pay for that tank quality.
The first one I bought was 722D a forward mount diesel 52” deck. The second was a forward mount 52” kohler 23 hp gas. Hated that engine and traded it in.
Third is a 337 mid mount 61” 37hp Fuel injected B&S it’s an awesome mower with a suspension seat.
The front mounts have flip up decks to make blade access quick and easy. The mid mounts don’t, so I use a Mojack pro for that.
Front mounts are more expensive, diesels are additional money, and power fold decks are pretty common.
They all weigh a lot, my 337 ready to mow weights 1,410 without anyone on it.

The don

LawnSite Member
My BIL bought a used 72” cut Grasshopper a few years ago from a dealer. It had been traded in by a guy that used it to cut his own yard who I guess has a lot of money and trades in his mowers when they get a few years old because he wants a new one. When my BIL bought it I think it had about 300 hours on it And it looked almost new.

I think it now has about 1200 hours on it and my BIL wants to trade it in on a new mower because he doesn’t want to spend any money on repairs. Although I don‘t think there is specifically anything wrong with it he is just concerned that he might start having to spend money on it. He is not mechanically inclined and neither am I.

I thought about trying to buy it from him to use for my own properties and was wondering if anyone knows what type repairs might be needed soon for a mower with this many hours on it. I don’t think my BIL has had any real repairs done to it since he has had it. Can someone tell me what things/repairs might probably be needed soon and would theymbe expensive? I’m sure Grasshopper parts aren’t cheap. I could probably buy this from him for two to three thousand dollars. Can anyone give me any input on this?

Thanks
1200 hours is really not a lot of hours if it's been taken care of then they're really shouldn't be much of anything just the common maintenance. Grasshopper makes one of the best mowers in the industry

Top Forums