1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Should I continue advertising or hit the pause button

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by spitfire3416, May 18, 2020.

1. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

nextdoor is picking up steam where im at as well. ive landed around 5 jobs this year from 1 post i responded to.

2. Tn Turf

Tn Turf LawnSite Senior Member

It's been weird here too. It seems like about 300 new lco and pressure washing businesses have popped up out of nowhere and are invading our territory.

To counter this, we've been up-selling our current clients. our sales are through the roof and we are having a record breaking year in revenue and profitability.

Mailchimp is free. Hopefully with all that money you're investing in advertising, you are incorporating *free* email marketing and up selling.

3. grass man 11

grass man 11 LawnSite Senior Member

A lot to unpack here.

first all marketing is timing based. If you are too late or too early it has bad results. Your looking for the first warm sunny Saturday of the spring as being your target. Rain/clouds/low temps/ too early (especially this year with covid) / too late (they already booked). All of those things will effect.

$1000 on SEO isn’t that much and it takes 3-6 months to see major results of website changes. SEO helps you rank, your website also has to be user friendly and visually appealing. Post your website and I’ll give you my thoughts.

$300 Facebook. Facebook is an odd thing. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it says it’s not working but your phones will be ringing. As a general statement, you have to leave a Facebook ad run for 30 days. 3-5 days doesn’t do it. You also need a good attention grabbing ad. People are not “shopping” while on FB. So mostly FB is used for brand recognition.

letters and door hangers you would expect 0.05%. So 1 lead for every 200 passed out. Then if you close 50% that means 1 client for 400 passed out. I have seen it way higher, but generally that’s the numbers I see to deem it a success.

eddm - I couldn’t say. Same thing 0.05% response rate. What did the ad show/say? Did you tell them what to do? Did you put a dead line? Does your website have a matching landing page? Did you target the right demographic ?

4. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

It's tough to tell without seeing your advertising/SEO work. But, I assume after 9 years in business, you have it figured out.

You may be experiencing the same thing that happened to us last year. It was just an "off" year. Practically everything we did in years past didn't work.

This year has been hard with COVID and the weather patterns.

Jeff@diyokc and Cam15 like this.
  5. Gus McGee

Gus McGee LawnSite Member

It's been a slow year, in comparison to previous years, for us too. We are in the NE, an area that closed down early and remains closed because of coronavirus. A lot of people out of work and scared.

6. EmeraldCut

EmeraldCut LawnSite Member

Perhaps it is the channel selected (EDDM, SEO, FB) or the message conveyed (advertised price not as great as you think, website not as awesome as you believe, the leaf in your new logo looks like marijuana and customers are unsure what is being sold) but my guess after 9-years.... COVID-affect. Especially if you are looking to attract new residential customers.

Example from a residential conversation which was conveyed to me earlier this week. 'We had been planning on changing providers this Spring, but my guy has been with me for four-years, four-years, and I feel too guilty letting him go during this.'
    ...says awesome things about society galvanizing against COVID; also says revenue growth is likely to be a bit tougher in the residential segment this year.

You know your business, as for me, definitely reducing residential advertising spend. (Govt and commercial customer acquisition expenses unchanged.)

Cam15 and Jeff@diyokc like this.
  7. J.R. and Sons Services

J.R. and Sons Services LawnSite Senior Member

For myself, I have seen a large growth in residential revenue so far this spring and a large decrease in commercial revenue.

I feel this is because many homeowners are at home most of the time now, seeing all the things that need done around the yard. I have never in my many years in the industry had so many requests for back yard work. It was always front yard only or front and back, but never back only!

I was really concerned with the loss of my 3rd and 4th largest full service seasonal commercial accounts (Huge Hit!), but that is now way in the rear view with this boom in residential work. I am booked solid until winter. Lets hope this happens for all of us!

hort101 likes this.
  8. EmeraldCut

Cheers to that J.R. :drinkup:

We have seen fairly consistent 'Extras' from existing accounts....growth in that area would be fantastic, so glad your shop has captured it.

The weakness we have seen is specific to recruiting brand new Residential.

9. J.R. and Sons Services

J.R. and Sons Services LawnSite Senior Member

Cheers to you as well. I am obtaining new residential customers as well. (Up 20 percent). I hope this growth improves for you too. I am honestly suprised by it as it all seemed so doom and gloom a month ago. Weather moves west to east (Except for the last couple of days, lol) hopefully good fortunes do as well!

10. EmeraldCut

Well dang, life IS good JR!! That is so good to hear.

I am coming out this Fall to study under your team. Generally I am of little value in the field these days, but, order Taco Bell and fill fuel tanks with the best of them. lol