Lawn Care Forum banner

should i continue?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  rywnygc 
#1 ·
with diesel at 4.04$ a gallon and gas not to far behind things are getting tough for me. on top of that about two weeks ago i got a call from my sod field saying that they had sold everything but a couple pallets worth of sod and the other fields arnt doing any better. long story short i got offered a job doing geotechnical work. ive really watched my business grow since i started in early '09 but now things have gotten to competitive and profits margins are almost gone. Should i take the second job? or try to hold things together till things improve?

#4 ·
its not gonna make a significant difference weather its gas or diesel.

#7 ·
Take the job now because you can always fall back on lawn work later should the job go south,
what you can't do is stick with lawn work now and take the job later because it won't be there.

So, take the job.
I agree, you could take the job now and hold on to the lawn equipment. That way if the job does not work out for what ever reason, you can just get back in the lawn business. This may be a blessing if the new job turns out to be something you really love doing.

#8 ·
Sometimes opportunities are put in front of you for a reason.

I drastically downsized my business and got a good full time job because, well, a lot of reasons, but I think I'm doing what I'm "supposed to" if that makes sense.

But don't let pride get in the way of good opportunities.

#9 ·
take the job bro and do the lawn care on the side. jobs like that dont come around to often

#10 ·
i don't even know what geotechnical work is but if it's something you like to do then i say go for it. in my experience though i tried alot of different jobs first and then got into the lawn business because i couldn't find one that i liked to do on a daily basis. lawn care is probably the job i can live with more than any other job i've ever had but everyone is different. find what you like to do. the biggest mistake most people make is sticking with a job they don't like. i guess they are afraid of change or taking risks but we live in america where you have alot of opportunities. you aren't forced to do one thing your whole life. you have the freedom to try different things and to find what suits you. it can be tough deciding on what that is though lol. best of luck to you.

#11 ·
yeah i think my pride does get in the way sometimes but i think im going to try the job out. for those of you that dont know what geotechnical work is, its pretty much dirt compaction readings, pavement analysis, and quality control for new roads and such.

#12 ·
Don't get me wrong, the price of gas does take away from the bottom line. Even if gas were to double, that price wouldn't put me out of business. I don't understand why the cost of fuel seems to be hurting some so badly. What am I missing with those folks?

#13 ·
Don't get me wrong, the price of gas does take away from the bottom line. Even if gas were to double, that price wouldn't put me out of business. I don't understand why the cost of fuel seems to be hurting some so badly. What am I missing with those folks?
its not just fuel for me its a combination of things

#14 ·
Diesel here is 4.30 a gallon. I haven't even raised costs yet. If you are taking the price of fuel into consideration, then I believe there is much more.

I have to say though, I've been doing this since I was a kid. I keep coming back to it. I've had some really cool jobs too. Once I was a master control operator for a local fox tv station in Indiana. Even when I was a soldier, I still watched the landscape guys working when I passed them, thinking, man I miss running a machine.

If you are at the point of posting about it, then you should probably go do it. Then again, I think I'd rather create beautiful landscapes than do quality checks on hot azz blacktop in Fla.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.