I signed up a job 3 weeks ago to spread 20 yds mulch (no edging or weeding,just dump and go), remove 8 pine trees that died recently, and replant trees in their place. Also seed about 10k square feet of turf that was torn up during construction, dig a ditch, etc... The understanding between the cust and myself was: we cant seed til the ground temps are up, likely the beginning of may. The mulch will be spread as soon as its available (this friday)....the cust requested a special dyed mulch that isnt done being processed by the mulch place. Finally, we will tear the trees out using a truck to avoid stumps...per cust's request. I told him i wont put the truck on the lawn without it being dry, or him saying go ahead knowing the grass will get messed up. Now, this old man cant talk really well, so im limited to emails and text messaging...which is tough. He texted me last week about 2 other small proects totalling 300 bucks, we went out and looked at them, and added them to the contract. hes a real nice old man, and i feel bad for him because he cant talk or walk... Well today, after a barrage of texts, he decides he doesnt need my services. He quoted one of my emails 3 weeks ago saying "I'd like to get started on the mulch sooner than later...maybe in 2 weeks or so"....and also explained that the nursery who delivered the trees wont warranty them if they are out of the ground longer than 2 weeks (which is coming up this friday). He asked if i wanted him to seek someone elses services if we cant fit him in I asked him what he wanted done...I could pull the trees tomorrow, and roach his grass, or wait til friday and do it on dry turf. I can do the mulch saturday, which is when its scheduled to be delivered. . (the contract reads "approimately april 15 start date")He said no..dont worry about it, we need to go our separate ways. Well, he really pisses me off. WTF is his problem? I asked, but he just repeated "i dont want ur services". I called his daughter, who initially contacted me, to keep her abreast of the situation. I explained to her about the special mulch i ordered and paid for...and that hed be liable for it whether or not we put it down...he signed the contract and that's that. So she called me back and said "my dads just really anxious...blahblahblah, but he said its ok if you come friday and get the trees in....please call me back to confirm you can still do it" Ummmmm....no. How do I know if this guy will even pay me now that he changed his mind on a whim...because i didnt drop everything and run over there today? It's over $3k in work...so I'd like to do it..... What do you think? Maybe make him prepay if he really wants us in there? Or just chalk it up as another crazy guy, and bill him for the mulch cancellation (I had the mulchmaker rush the processing of 20 yds to accomodate this guy)?