Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you didn鈥檛 damage the driveway why would you fix it. Looks like the wheels of the dumpster left some divots. What did they say?
we didn鈥檛 have a dumpster and the only other company who came was a tow truck to pick up my excavator. They say it鈥檚 not them. Technically some would say I am responsible because I hired them but I don鈥檛 know I鈥檓 starting to think no

Registered
Sorry, yes I meant the loading ramps. If it鈥檚 2 sets it was probably them. I guess they can deny it, but I bet they match up perfectly with the ramp. My dump trailer rams would do that with my mini skid, I had to be careful where I unloaded when I used that setup.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sorry, yes I meant the loading ramps. If it鈥檚 2 sets it was probably them. I guess they can deny it, but I bet they match up perfectly with the ramp. My dump trailer rams would do that with my mini skid, I had to be careful where I unloaded when I used that setup.
not worth getting into it, since they won鈥檛 be replacing a driveway either. Best case they would have patched it

talked to owner of company that paved it and apparently it was 18k job, seems high for like 400鈥 sq asphalt. Doesn鈥檛 really add up but whatever. I would have done pavers for 12k. The owner of company said just leave it, otherwise get a cup of sealer and just try blend it in a bit more.

one other thing is apparently they seal the driveway right away, from what I see online they say to let it cure and harden first. So although it鈥檚 over a year old, it never got to cure because they sealed it.

Registered
If Fedex or DHL damage a shrub or grass or lamp post or whatever and you call for compensation they'll ask for photo/video proof that it was them. No Proof, No Claim.

It's sad that our society has come to this point though. There was a day that if someone damaged something they'd fess up before the owner even saw it. And they'd make it right. That's still the case in Europe and somewhat the case in Maine and perhaps elsewhere but it's certainly no longer the case throughout most of the U.S. today. Lying and avoiding responsibility has become all to common and will be the decline of our society. /rant

Besides sealcoating鈥 Is there a way to do a decorative patch or pattern that would be a lot less costly than an entire driveway? Stamped concrete lines? A brass compass rose? A brick pattern within the concrete that traverses the damage spots?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If Fedex or DHL damage a shrub or grass or lamp post or whatever and you call for compensation they'll ask for photo/video proof that it was them. No Proof, No Claim.

It's sad that our society has come to this point though. There was a day that if someone damaged something they'd fess up before the owner even saw it. And they'd make it right. That's still the case in Europe and somewhat the case in Maine and perhaps elsewhere but it's certainly no longer the case throughout most of the U.S. today. Lying and avoiding responsibility has become all to common and will be the decline of our society. /rant

Besides sealcoating鈥 Is there a way to do a decorative patch or pattern that would be a lot less costly than an entire driveway? Stamped concrete lines? A brass compass rose? A brick pattern within the concrete that traverses the damage spots?
Well actually they do have a grey brick pattern like a soldier course stamped in along the border but I don't think anything would look good.

I am just going to get a small amount of sealcoat and paint it on.

Honestly I don't feel as bad as I would have had they not pressured me to keep the price from last year, so they saved $1500 and get a couple dings in return.

Registered
This is a prime example of why I never negotiate price. It always seems to leave you with clients like this.
So much wrong here. Should have done the landscaping first. Then driveway. It鈥檚 like replacing the carpet and then painting the ceiling. Makes no sense.

Registered
I鈥檇 tell them to pound sand.
Whatever you do, don't stress about it. Its easy for these nit picky folks (and I'm being generous with the word folks) to find anything to complain about these days, just to make your life unnecessarily harder. Does he HONESTLY think that ripping up a driveway and putting in a new one is going to cause less damage??? I mean he'll be asking for new turf and a landscape after you do that.

I'd say something along the lines of "I'm really sorry that it happened, but the minimal amount of damage sustained doesn't warrant a new driveway. If we had cracked it, I would understand your concern, but that didn't happen."

Plus you have your damage waiver which has his signature.

I ran into a situation where cheap foundation paint was installed on one of my customer's bricks. My guys trimmed too close and knocked some of it off. He complained and sent pictures and I offered to repaint it, like anyone would. I arrive and noticed that the paint was bubbling up everywhere around his foundation brick. To the point that if you rubbed your finger across it, it would come off. I made sure that he knew about that before I left. Did I do the right thing? Yes. was the paint installed improperly? Yes. Could we have avoided it? No. Will I go out and repaint it again? No?

I probably wouldn't say anything else beyond that point and just hope that he doesn't send a certified letter.

Registered
I should have told them to go to the sand box on the pricing sure but I鈥檓 nice to a fault and I definitely regret it. Trying to hold my ground now considering we鈥檝e always been booked 4-6 months and turn away 3-5 calls a day
Did you get a gut feeling?
Constantly feel like getting pushed for including free extras?

Reactions: Cam15 and Mitty87

Registered
I should have told them to go to the sand box on the pricing sure but I鈥檓 nice to a fault and I definitely regret it. Trying to hold my ground now considering we鈥檝e always been booked 4-6 months and turn away 3-5 calls a day
You did good.
You don't owe them a driveway, but you are least helped them out.

I wouldn't worry. I don't think telling them to pound sand is best either. You did what was reasonable. That's all you can do.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Did you get a gut feeling?
Constantly feel like getting pushed for including free extras?
I knew how they were didn鈥檛 need a gut feeling. Just that it was expected to keep same price after 7-8 months in this economy was all I needed to know. It wasn鈥檛 my fault that they missed the emails and calls to start last year.

any other year no problem but we had things go up 50-100%

Registered
I knew how they were didn鈥檛 need a gut feeling. Just that it was expected to keep same price after 7-8 months in this economy was all I needed to know. It wasn鈥檛 my fault that they missed the emails and calls to start last year.

any other year no problem but we had things go up 50-100%
The price for the tar driveway seemed high imo but way you said it made me think company charged them more because they are difficult to deal with

Sometimes people use techniques to get deals and think nothing of strong arming you into something even they know is wrong

My point is if you get a gut feeling and it's usually right don't be afraid to mark it up or walk imo

Reactions: Cam15

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I suppose I鈥檇 be pissed too if I spent 18k for 400 sq ft of asphalt to have some dude drop his ramps on it and dent it. Doesn鈥檛 that seem like an absurd price. Probably didn鈥檛 have anymore money for plsnts!
that Is not a good price, I have doubts that people are paying $40/sq for asphalt.

we had a bin truck clip someone鈥檚 wood siding last year, I know they did fix it But oddly enough I get a bill from that bin company for $500 2 months later saying we overfilled and broke a bin door. Revenge.

The siding was fixed but you can definitely tell as it was a weird tongue and groove from like 50 years ago. They did not get a new siding job.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts