Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been cutting this customer for about 5 years and at the end of the month i usually have a hard time collecting. Well this month was no different. I went to her house and i had a hunch she was moving and when i called the phone was disconnected. I finally got ahold of her and asked for payment in full and she then said she did not have it all because she is moving. She said she will pay half and in a week mail me the other half. I told her that i need payment in full and she said she already wrote out the check for half. I looked at it and said you only put the numerical numbers in the bank goes for what is written. I told her i would wait a week to cash it if she wrote out the whole amount, she finally did and i left. So should i run to the bank or wait till next week. And by the way i am no longer going to service her lawn :D

·
Banned
1,937 Posts
Shawns Lawns said:
..... I told her i would wait a week to cash it if she wrote out the whole amount, she finally did and i left. So should i run to the bank or wait till next week. ..... :D
You should do what you agreed to do.
Wait a week.
Then run to the bank, her bank.

·
Registered
96 Posts
dcondon said:
I would have gone direct to the bank and cashed it. What if she called the bank and cancelled it ;)
In Missouri (and I assume most of the other states) stopping payment on a check is illegal.

As far as running to the bank and cashing it; if its post dated it can't be cashed. She told him the money wasn't there so if he did cash now he has to deal with all the hassles that go along with collecting a bad check (which he may have to do any ways)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Actually you are stuck and do not know it. If she told you the money was not in the bank and you accepted the check. Then you have agreed to accept a bad chaeck and if you cash it and the money is not in the bank then you have no legal recourse as she told you and you agreed. So you might as well wait and take your medicine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Most banks provide overdraft protection for their customers, as soon (date wise) as the check is valid, present it at her bank. They may pay it regardless if she has the available funds.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Go to HER BANK, not yours NOW and see if there is money in the account. Explain to one of the bank officers, if customer service won't help, whats going down and they may honor the check as soon as they can. In most states post dated checks are illegal. The date dosen't mean anything. You can cash them immediatly. If she changed the numbers, I hope she initialed the changes or they won't honor anything.

Jim

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
the words are what is important not the numbers. Period

post dating checks doesn't make any difference. If written it is cashable

whoever said you are in deep because she told you there is no cash is right. You accepted an IOU not a check.

Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
crawdad said:
You should do what you agreed to do.
Wait a week.
Then run to the bank, her bank.
I'm with Crawdad on this one. Where I come from, a man's word means something. 2 wrongs never make a right.

Just my unsolicited $.02 worth....

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
.....as shes moving and changes banks.... your screwed. Well its really your call. Ever had problems with an NSF check from her? moving locally or out of state? I would of asked for 2 checks... 1 to cash now for the half and one for next week so either way you probably wouldnt be totally screwed if she closes the acct next week.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jimslawns said:
Most banks provide overdraft protection for their customers, as soon (date wise) as the check is valid, present it at her bank. They may pay it regardless if she has the available funds.
From what i understand from someone who use to work at a bank. It you try to cash a check on the bank it was drawn on and there is no funds available in checking they do not take if from savings to pay you. But she did say it could be done if you did it electronically. However that happens. :waving:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
jbell113 said:
I dont know if she wrote you a personal check or made the check out to the name of your business but I dont think you can cash a check made out to your business name ....can you?
No...if its made out to a business, most, if not all banks will not cash it for you unless you have your account with them. Ive tried it before. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.