Should I scalp crab grass then spray with Drive?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by StallionRx, Aug 12, 2018.

1. StallionRx

StallionRx LawnSite Member

Ive got some pretty thick patches of crab in the yard. Would it be best to mow the area really short (1") and then spray with drive?

There is some fescue and KBG mixed in. Im a little worried it would shock the good grasses.

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Since most herbicides work by leaf absorption it would not be advisable. You want leaf tissue to spray.

stomachbuzz likes this.
  3. CorgiTurf

CorgiTurf LawnSite Senior Member

Do not mow 2 days before or after herbicide application

stomachbuzz likes this.
  4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your lawn irrigated?

Quin is one of the safest herbicides to spray on cool season turf, I spot spray crab and foxtail with it every day with absolutely no concern about the temperature.

I did burn a lawn with it once, my own. I have a few tip n pours I keep for personal use. At the time since it was for personal I just wrote on the bottles instead of attaching labels, this little screw up got me to label them like I do at work. Didn't pay to much attention and grabbed a bottle intending to spray some Q4. Spot sprayed Drive at 3oz/gal on my lawn and frosted the tips of the grass. :laugh: No real harm it just grew out.

I'm not sure how much difference drought stress will make if your lawn isn't irrigated, just try a patch if you want to be careful.

I would expect scalping the turf to actually cause more damage than the quin though.

hort101 likes this.
  5. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Preferably you would want to cut early in the week, spray midweek, and cut again the next weekend.