Shrub bed cleaning

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
So, I've landscaped for yrs.... but I've never found an easy way to clean up my beds after I've trimmed the shrubs... especially things like boxwoods or coupons that make such a mess... ove tried tarps, just taking, blower.... never just an easy quick efficient way... anyone have any tricks?

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
What type of mulch is in the beds?

Some have posted putting towels around the shrubs. Others have used different types of tarps, etc.

Always try to get the first pruning done before installing new mulch. But that only works in the spring.

We use some pine straw in this area. Sometimes, in this case it is easier to leave most of the clippings(if fine) in the beds and top dress with a light coating of new straw.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
A tarp and one of those miniature leaf rakes (you know what i mean ?) to get the debris off the plant. And then a blower to finish up. It's not perfect but it's about as good as it get's.

OP
W

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
Those are options i practice and use.. but I was hoping someone had a hat trick I've never seen.... has anyone ever used one of those smaller handheld leaf vacs? Btw its Hardwood mulch...

OP
W

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
Mostly homeowners use the hand vacs here.
I've never seen on and didnt know hpwuch suction they have... if it would be enough to lift the debris but not enough to lift the mulch.... also commercial parking lot corner where debris will pile up over the wk.... a handheld would be faster than my walk behind if it had enough suction

gcbailey

LawnSite Gold Member
We use a little wonder debris vac. The walk behind type. It's got enough suction that you can get probably 90% of clippings out of beds by letting the nozzle hover a few inches above the mulch. You'll pick up some mulch but not much. We also added a 20' hose so it'll reach about anywhere in most beds.

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member
We use a debris plow on our Sheers wich holds the clippings as u cut in conjunction with tarps