shrub clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MPhillips, Sep 9, 2002.

1. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Anyone have the best way to remove shrub clippings off pinestraw after they've been trimmed? I've messed with tarps, handheld vacs...it seems like raking and picking them up isn't the best way to handle this. Thanks

2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if this will work on pine straw but what I do is trim the hedges as soon as they are looking shabby. Then I take my back pack blower and blow them under the hedge. Therefore I never have to really clean up the hedge clippings. I started doing this last year and have never had a complaint.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Spread out a tarp under the bushes to be trimmed to catch the clippings and you should be good to go. Just like painting (I hate that) it is all in the preparation to make the job go easy.

4. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Its a pain to get those clippings out. If I am trimming about the time I put down the needles I will trim and then rake or blow out what I can. The rest just get covered with the new needles. Tarps are a pain and dont work well for me. Too time consumming in most cases. Shrubs too tight in most places to use a tarp well.

:alien:

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

What I do is blow the clippings out of the beds and onto the lawn and either mulch them with my Exmark:D or suck 'em up with bagger on mower. If any mulch or needles get blown out (which they will), just blow them back in after the clean up.