Shrub Trimming Bid

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Bigg-Lenny, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Bigg-Lenny

Bigg-Lenny LawnSite Member

E024562A-85FC-46A6-A076-DB0ACC980A27.jpeg FA3007A1-1EA8-4BDA-807C-4B740BDFE2BC.jpeg 69693365-581B-4771-83D3-F8BBFA46C868.jpeg

I’m not even gonna lie. I need help with bidding this in the worst way, lol. I decided to stop in this housing development after receiving a Request For Bid on another property earlier this evening. I stopped at this house because I noticed the condition of the grass. The garage was open, along with the car door that was parked inside. So I figured someone was home, and not quite ready to settle in for the evening. I introduced myself to the owner and inquired if she was interested in some lawn care services. My main interest was just mowing, trimming, and blowing that small little patch in her front yard, and whatever little bit was in the back. She asked how much would it cost to trim the shrubs that you see that are marked in the photos. The biggest one is waist high. To be honest, it stopped me in my tracks, because trimming shrubs and pruning trees was never on my list of services when I started my company a couple of months ago. But after strolling through on Saturday afternoon,...I reconsidered what services I would actually perform. She then asked me about getting rid of some weeds and grass that she had in her backyard. She showed me her backyard. It consisted of a pool that is surrounded by rocks that cover the rest of the backyard. Just to give you an idea of the property size,...about an 1/8 acre. Her backyard has a very small amount of Bermuda grass that grew up and took off a little bit. She wants it gone, so that there is nothing but rocks throughout her yard. I don’t have a problem with getting rid of that for her. My main concern is the front yard. She told me that she had a guy try to charge her $80 to trim those shrubs in the front. He did a little bit, then said that he was finished trimming, and wanted to be paid. He told her that he was gonna come back out to finish,...but that was a month ago. What do you guys normally charge to trim shrubs like these? I told her that my estimate would include, mowing and trimming “the patch,” trimming the seven shrubs, blowing and removing the leaves from the yard, and trimming and spraying the little bit of Bermuda grass in her backyard. Literally, what you see in the photos is the whole front yard. The lawn care part of it is considered to becoming a recurring account. I say that, because she inquired about a biweekly plan. I end up stopping at two more homes. One declined because they were renting. The other declined because he was gonna do it himself,...but asked for a business card because he wasn’t for sure if he was gonna take care of it himself.

I thought it was a good idea to leave and go home. I just kind of felt like I was trying to acquire accounts without knowing my numbers. Here I am,...back to the drawing board, lol.

The reason that I’m seeking advice or suggestions on this, is because there are over 250 homes in this development. As I drove through,...I may have spotted 10 homes that have a “maintained” look. The rest were basically like this one, but without grass, and less shrubs. To me, I see it as a great opportunity do a lot of business within this small community. I have all the necessary tools to do the job. I just lack the knowledge on where to set my numbers for these particular jobs.

Let me know what you guys think. I don’t mind taking my lumps. But I don’t wanna take too many.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Looks more labor intensive than a lot of money. I would pass. $80 sounds reasonable. She is willing to pay that. I don't think you will be paid in advance:laugh:

Cam15 likes this.
  3. StearnScape

StearnScape LawnSite Member

$80.00 sounds like a good start

Cam15 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Bigg-Lenny

Charles, do you ever sleep??!! The biggest is waist high, one or two are about mid thigh, the rest are below knee height. It doesn’t seem too labor intensive with a gas powered hedge trimmer. I just need to figure out where to set my numbers for this particular service. I say that, because if the the next door neighbor wants his done, and he has a few less,...I need to charge accordingly. I definitely don’t want to get into performing cheap labor. I’ll keep digging around and seeing how others are determining how they’re setting their rates.

It’s time for me to go get fireworks. Gotta get ready for a big party.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Charles

I was talking about having many customers in the neighborhood. Not just that one job

6. OP
    OP
    Bigg-Lenny

Hmmm. Definitely is something to think about. I would prefer to pick up the lawn care accounts. But I know that those shrub trimming jobs will be there, because the word will get around. And it’s not like I don’t have graphics on my truck that tells people “lawn care only” lol.

7. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Trim the shrubs, take that ugly ass crushed limestone out, put brown mulch down and water the lawn, you spend a few hundred bucks (and charge the client) you can make that property look nice, and people,will see that and you'll get more clients.

8. Charles

I trimmed a lot of shrubs for many years when I was building my business. Now I just sub that work out . Too many lawns to throw in that type work. Here many can have a lot of big hedges. Not having much luck finding subs this year so I have turned down customers who dont trim their own hedges or want me to weed beds. Still a lot of mow blow and go lawns to keep me busy. As your business grows and you get older, you will probably need to hire someone to do those task or sub them. I still have a couple lawns with a few hedges I do

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't try to get business on a yard that looks like that. Those bushes are not the kind that get trimmed.

Walker56 likes this.