Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over time I have grown to somewhat despise my company name. The name and related slogans get ripped off all the time in ads, on signs, in the yellow pages ect....

And then there is the confusion issue that comes up all the time. I'm forever having to correct and say NO not N.V. Lawn Service....ENVY Lawn Service! Then preceed to spell it out if I get that blank stare....E-N-V-Y....

Annoying really. I guess over time it's really been getting at me. I'm having serious thoughts about changing it. But I'm not sure I want to go through the red tape or explain the change...And then there is the issue of what to re-name it!

Am I the only one this has happened to?

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
I just went through this over the last two years. I had my name for 18 years, and really conteplated about changing it before I did for that reason. It was for the better though, I believe. My original name was Joseph Lanscaping & Grounds Maintenance. Well as you can see, that was quite a mouthful, and alot to write, especially on a check (most just put Joseph Landscaping). Well, there were names I really liked, especially what I have no, that I've had in my head for years, and thought about it carefully. When I got into the fertilization and chemical, I brought it out as Ground Control, which was then a subsidiary of Joseph landscaping & Grounds Maintenance. I wrote all the pre-existing customers letters explainind what was happening. It was written like Joseph Landscaping & Grounds Maintenance is proud to present Ground Control, a high quality, personalized lawn care service, using the finest products available,....blah, blah, blah....
Anyway, over time, I have just combined everything into Ground Control, andd have successfully made the transition over time, as to not be sudden, prompting the customers to wonder why we are changing. (Usually, customers will say. "Oh oh!") This may be an option for you, or not. This is just how it went for me. As far as red tape,... I just re-registered, paid taxes and insurance on both companies last year (Ground Control didn't make any money), and now Joseph is all gone. I hope this helps.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
N V--(sorry I couldn't resist:p ) change your name if you like.

but personally I think name changes are best to signify a "company change" like adding a partner or new servvice.

but it is no biggie in the larger plan.

as for the name thing and spelling it--I do it every time someone one asks me eventhough the last name is only four letters.

"now mr. N-V...who do I make that check out to?" lol.

GEO

·
Registered
389 Posts
FWIW, we have a fairly large lawn/landscape company here in thie louisville area. their name is ENVY lawn and landscape.

their slogan: Get green with ENVY!

catchy

EDIT: btw, we started out primarily as a turf managent company and basically everything turf. the name LawnSmith Turf Maintenance was chosen because of our concentration of turf care and that my last name is SMITH. but, as landscaping became unavoidable so to speak and knowing our name turns potential landscape customers away, we are thinking of changing to LawnSmith TurfScape Maintenace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I started my business 3 years ago I wanted something simple. I live at the Lake of the Ozarks, which is in Missouri so when I came up with the name I wanted something simple but yet catchy. So I named it Lake Turf then here came the slogan..."It's your Turf Let us Take Care of it"

It has worked and still happy with the name.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Living Exteriors here, piggybacking off my father in-law's successful interior design and living plant sales company: Living Interiors. I had a handful of large accounts to get me going, and enjoy having the relation to an established company, but in a completely different field.

Weird thing is, that aot of people that haven't heard of my father in-law's company still write a check out to "Living Interiors" as opposed to Exteriors. Even when gated commun. guards are looking directly at my magnetic signs on my truck, they still say "Living Interiors" is here to see you. Still don't know why Living Interiors is so much easier for people to say.

Point being, if you do decide to change your name, maybe you can make you decision based on something like my situation. Or now, lol, just a suggestion.

·
Banned
4,203 Posts
Envy,
We will be merging 2 businesses into 1 next year,with a name change to reflect the new business.
I'm not looking forward to the mumbo jumbo involved but in the end I believe it will be a great positive.
It is the quality of work and ethics that are important,not so much the name.Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I will attempt to remeber my reply to each of you.

1st thanx everyone for your replies.

EJK2352,

Yes it is a pretty easy and very understandable mistake. Especially during phone conversations or when dealing with those who are not very familiar w/my company.

Runner,

Your reply was very helpful. It has my wheels turning about how I could use something similar to introduce the new name, then eventually just ease into the change over.

Richard,

Yet another option that I could use along with Runners idea.

geogunn,

Ha Ha! :) I get that a lot.

PJ,

Your name reminds me of a kid who wakes up with a pajama wedgie. I guess things could always be worse. It IS a long name too as you suggest.

Gr grass n Hi tides,

Thanks, I thought the name was catchy too. Especially since it started out as a joke, ended up catching on and it actually just stuck as a name. I may end up keeping it when all is said and done due to the fact of the hassle involved and the fact that the change would not take place until 2004.

Some of the other LCO's and scrubs have hijacked portions of the name and slogan to use as there own slogan. But from what I have seen, none of them are worthy of any part of it.

I'm the real ENVY (stealing from Slim Shady) and I guess their use of things of mine proves it.

As for the lettering stuff. That would help out a bit. Since buying new equipment I have changed the company colors and uniform. I now wear red polo shirts and charcoal cargo shorts to match the mowers. Since the change I have failed to do any new stuff. No logos and no lettering. I just haven't been able to create anything I'm willing to settle on. The acceptable colors would be like red, charcoal, black & white.

Lawnsmith,

Cool, big company huh? That's neat! I also use that slogan from time to time. I can see what you are saying there. I took all that into account when registering and decided on my full business name being Envy Lawn Service & Landscaping.

Oh, my other slogan would be "Make your neighbors green with Envy Lawn Service & Landscaping" and I use it on occasion as well.

Also when settling on a name, I thought of very little when I ruled certain things out. I made a decision that I would rather not have a name with geographical ties to any local landmark, city/town/county/state/region or other. Plus I really didn't want to include initials or any portion of my name. Simple reason being you never no what changes life might throw your way, need or want to sell, relocation, ect... So I stayed away from that.

J&R,

LOL, the things you get at times. No way could I get by with initials here. Good grief there are a lot of those around here. Too many family or partnership LCO's with that type name.

Lake Turf,

I think you did an excellent job naming your company. Catchy and Geographical, yet still mobile if you were to relocate or sell out.

lawncareguy702,

Classy name you have there. Also the linking thing has to help out. Sorry to hear of the frequint confusion. It's still a classy name though. I tried to come up with something classy or art-sy like that but drew a big blank. One outfitt here is called Outdoor Expressions. I thought that was a good one too.

dvmcmrhp52,

I also believe in what you are saying there. It's the finshed job that really says something, not the company name. Best wishes to you as well.

Now does anyone have any good suggestions for names if I do decide to make the change? I've only thought of one so far and I'm not sure about it. Also what are the thoughts on what describes a business best. I'm saying like Lawn Service, Lawn Service & Landscaping, Lawn Maintenance, Lawn & Landscape Maintenance, Lawn Care, Turf Care, Turf Maintenance, Grounds Maintenace...ect??? What are the guidlines in your mind that make a company correctly defined as one of the above phrases?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could call it Lawnscaping and Landcare.

Or you could eliminate the confusion and just change your name to NV. There's a town I travel through sometimes here in Iowa... it's called New Vienna. Their sign reads: New Vienna. The eNVy of Iowa.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
I'm the real ENVY (stealing from Slim Shady) and I guess their use of things of mine proves it.
b]
I was going to say that in my post & should have done so. That's what I was thinking. The name is so cool people are ripping you off. I say keep the great name. Actually, before ever posted about this I thought your company name was cool. Should have sent you a note sooner saying so. Like I said, why not put in there somewhere "serving Caroling since 19xx" or whatever fits. You're here to stay & the ripoffs will fall by the wayside.

Other names, I don't know. I've got all this corny NC stuff in my head & can't shake.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you do change your name, be original. Alot of these names you'll see in every city.

Try and make it reflect something about yourself or something about the area that you work in.

Good Luck. Just do it.:cool:

·
Banned
787 Posts
we just use our last name, "...... Lawn Care Service, Inc." It works for us. Simple, but it does the job. We didnt want to sound gimmicky and in this area, it matters what your last name is....So, if you have a decent family reputation, they trust you. I know that probably doesnt make sense to alot of you, but remember, this is small town mentality and you must operate within those bounds.

I personally think that "envy" is a great name.

But here, the second sentence out of a prospective client's mouth is usually..."so, who are your parents,etc..." I cannot explain it, that is just the way it is. weird, i know. :confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.