• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Signed Contact or Not?

Joe Kidd

LawnSite Member
Hello all, I am just starting in business and am wondering about getting a signed contract from customers. Just off the top of my head, I think a customer might be a bit hesitant to sign a contract, right off the bat.

What do you guys think? And if you think a signed contract is the best way to go, can you point me to any? Thank you in advance.

mow2nd

LawnSite Senior Member
good question, In some states a hand shake is as good as a written contract. My dad has never done a written contract but he has been in this business since the early 70s.

Now a days, I think you do need some kind of written agreement, just so there is no confusion as to what all is included in your service. I have my customers sign a service agreement, at least thats what I call it. Contract is a scarey word for some people.

The service agreements are all different / weekly-biweekly-treatment program-12 month service. No matter what service they want I make them sign what they are getting, just so they dont forget, I have had some say I was suppose to be fertilizing their yard. Then I go back to the service agreement and say "NO sir" Thats not included in our original agreement however I can add that in if you like.

Hope that helps.............later