Silicone seat pad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by danell10, Nov 30, 2019.

1. danell10

danell10 LawnSite Member

Happy holidays to all!

Guys, I'm wondering if any of you use a silicone or foam set pad on your mowers in lieu of a suspension seat. Amazon has a ton of different models in the range of 20-60 bucks. I'd appreciate any responses and/or product suggestions.

Thank you, Dan--

Cam15 likes this.
  2. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on what you are mowing.

I mow rough rural land, multiple acres at a time. My old Turf Tiger came with a standard seat. When a spring in the seat blew out I replaced the seat with the Scag OEM suspension seat. My back thanked me, and I was able comfortably to go so much faster that it was like gaining 30 productive and profitable minutes every day. The suspension seat was expensive --about $500 with shipping to Hawaii -- but the increased productivity quickly paid for it.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    danell10

danell10 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your response! I may end up with a sus seat, but I thought I'd ask here to see if some guys had a cheaper solution.

4. SMC LC

SMC LC LawnSite Member

If your looking for temporary comfort a gel seat pad would be better than nothing but as far as shock absorption I could not see how it can compare to 2-3 inch of spring travel. Maybe very well, I don't know. If you search "mower" in the "have a question" box someone may have addressed that.

I use a suspension insert with these rubber isolation mounts installed as well. The rubber moints give a nice horizontal range of motion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076CNBBZK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    danell10

danell10 LawnSite Member

Thank you for responding. They mount between the seat and seat base plate I presume?

6. SMC LC

SMC LC LawnSite Member

YW. On my isx800 the rubber mounts sit between the seat susp insert and seat adjuster. On my f60z they sit between the seat itself and the susp seat insert. Lock washers aren't included and some modding may be needed.

7. Skol

Skol LawnSite Senior Member

Get the suspension seat.... It's worth every penny

AlohaMowing and Cam15 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    danell10

danell10 LawnSite Member

I just may end up doing just that. Amazon has a couple of nice Milsco seats. Heck, I may even trade my mower in for a new one Thank you for your reply!

Cam15 likes this.
  9. SMC LC

SMC LC LawnSite Member

I would recommend ferris isx800. Awesome little mower.

Cam15 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    danell10

danell10 LawnSite Member

I don't mind making a rig, but don't want to bugger with the mower as I may trade it in. Thanks for the fast response.