silky,powered pole saw, or top handle saw ?

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by dooweb2, Dec 31, 2014.

1. dooweb2

dooweb2 LawnSite Member

I am a very small business focused on mowing, mulching, hedge trimming and gutter cleaning.($14k gross) I offer light chainsaw work. Light meaning I will drop lower limbs up as high as I can reach on a 10 foot ladder, I also do another 20 hrs a yr pruning smaller trees to keep them small.I currently do this with a 12 ft manual pole pruner. Most people want this done to get more sun light to the grass etc. I don't claim to be an arborist and make sure to point that out. I would say I do 20 hrs and not 40 hrs a season of this work. I like good equipment and a professional look. what do you guys recommend? I was positive I wanted a very light top handle from stihl echo or husq. like a t 192. Im wondering if I am missing something with a silky or if I'd be better off and or safer with a pole saw extension for my echo pas 280. Thank you for your time. Please be nice and just give advice. I am not a pro but I do not need to be picked on as a hack.I look professional, work out of a nice 7x12 enclosed trailer, and care very much about doing quality work safely. I am a 50 yr old making a good living and this is a side business that I started with my 17 yr old son to teach him hard work is good and hard work with college is better. At the same time all of my eggs are not in the same basket.

2. Silky, hands down. Look at their hand saw line and find which would work for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Since you posted this three+times... 1st time I've ever seen that done... I'll respond.

"prune smaller trees to keep them small" sounds like "topping" trees.... Bad for the health of the tree.
    What's a "silky"?
    I've got chainsaws in small, medium, and very large, along with a couple of extension pole saws, that reach up to 17 feet from the ground depending on your height. The pole saws are huge time savers over using a small saw and a ladder to remove lower limbs. Wear a hardhat... with a face guard.

If I had a PAS Echo, I'd start with Chain saw head. I'm not a fan of the interchangeable head machines, although lots of kids on this site are.

4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

OK, I just learned from Florida Gardner that a "Silky" is the brand of professional handsaws. The $250.00 extension pole saw extends from 8 to 21 feet long. Working height of 25 feet. It has lots of good reviews. I bought an extension hand operated pole saw thirty years ago and just used it on one limb before I put in the back of my storage building and bought a power pole saw. The Silky may cut magically better than what I bought. Florida probably does use them a lot of Palm trees.

5. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hey,
    First off pruning trees with a ladder isnt usually the way to go. Reason being when you cut the limb and it falls i can knock the ladder over while youre at the top, with a sharp tool in your hands. If it were me i wouldn't get a top handle saw unless you are in the tree a ton. Even though you can, you REALLY dont want to use the top handle saw 1 handed. I found out the hard way last season when i literally almost killed myself when i was using it 1 handed and it kicked back and hit my leg, centimeters from bone and arteries. After about 20 stitches in my muscle and skin, a $2000 ER bill, $5000 worth of lost work and over a year of lost feeling in my leg it is normalizing. (sorry for the rant).
    Do you have climbing equipment, like rope, harness, etc...? or are you aiming to stay on the ground.
    If you are going to stay on the ground you could get a silky pole saw. They make up to 20' models. i recently had a thread about this with a lot of good feedback on the silkys. Mine is actually coming today. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=434021
    If you are going to climb, you can get the manual zubat silky saw. it cuts awesome and is around $60. light weight and safe. If you are going to climb and want a saw i would get a light, normal saw that isnt top handle. you have more control with those.
    So the options I recommend are
    climbing with ropes, harness, safety gear and proper training- zubat hand saw, or light non top handle chainsaw.
    or staying on the ground and getting a long telescoping polesaw.
    Good luck

6. Silky is in a league of its own. As far as telescoping pole saws, nothing compares. The blade stays sharp for a long time and cuts with ease.

I've said this in another thread. Anyone who is going to do gardening and arbor care on a constant basis needs to have different tools in there arsenal.

For beginners, I recommend:

Silky Zubat handsaw
    Silky Gomtaro handsaw
    Fiskars 12 ft. Pole pruner
    ARS telescoping clipper/pruner
    Silky Hayate pole saw
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. OP
    OP
    dooweb2

dooweb2 LawnSite Member

Ty wish I could find this stuff used
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Extended silky saw and a dedicated power pole pruner. The only time to use a chainsaw while your feet aren't on the ground is if you're in a bucket truck or hanging from a rope. My stihl pole saw makes me a good bit of money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. OP
    OP
    dooweb2

dooweb2 LawnSite Member

I think that may be what i have come up with as well. A silky a small rear handle saw like the stihl ms 170 and a pole saw extention for my echo pas280. .Which silky for upstate NY. We have a lot of pines and maples.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. OP
    OP
    dooweb2

dooweb2 LawnSite Member

I think that may be what i have come up with as well. A silky a small rear handle saw like the stihl ms 170 and a pole saw extention for my echo pas280. .Which silky for upstate NY. We have a lot of pines and maples.feet on the ground as much as possible seems best.
    Posted via Mobile Device