• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Silverado or Ford dump truck?

Green Leaves

LawnSite Member
Location
Michigan
Which one do you like best. I will be hauling a trailer and plowing with it. I'm looking at either the Ford 350 2/3 yard dump or the Silverado 3500 hd 2/3 yard dump. I am leaning toward the Chevy and wanted to hear which one you guys prefer and why. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
 

Jpocket

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
DEL-MAR-VA
You can't go wrong with any year chevy, as long as it was well maintained.
GM is the only manufacturer IMO that doesn't have "certain years to stay away from" with the exception of the early Diesels. If your a getting a newer one 99 up they are AWSOME! especially the 6.0l and the Duramax. The old motors were great too, it's just that the new engines are some thing fresh and new with alot more power. also with the big block and the Duramax you can get the Allison automatic which is a big step above just your average heavy duty pickup trans. The allison is a scaled down meduim duty transmission that is gonna take more abuse and heavy loads than the 4L80E - still a great trans.

The 3500hd is the exact truck I want, it has the 15,000gvw, but they didn't make them with 4wd.

Ford is good too, but you gotta do your homework before you buy one of these as different years have different problems- New 6.0 diesel has problems, the torqshift trans has problems, the mid 90 transmissions would blow out if you back up under a heavy load. The v-10 blows spark plugs out of there threads.

The 7.3 PSD was the best motor ford had in it's trucks.
 

Tyner Lawn Service

LawnSite Senior Member
Location
omaha,ne
Jpocket said:
You can't go wrong with any year chevy, as long as it was well maintained.
GM is the only manufacturer IMO that doesn't have "certain years to stay away from" with the exception of the early Diesels. If your a getting a newer one 99 up they are AWSOME! especially the 6.0l and the Duramax. The old motors were great too, it's just that the new engines are some thing fresh and new with alot more power. also with the big block and the Duramax you can get the Allison automatic which is a big step above just your average heavy duty pickup trans. The allison is a scaled down meduim duty transmission that is gonna take more abuse and heavy loads than the 4L80E - still a great trans.

The 3500hd is the exact truck I want, it has the 15,000gvw, but they didn't make them with 4wd.

Ford is good too, but you gotta do your homework before you buy one of these as different years have different problems- New 6.0 diesel has problems, the torqshift trans has problems, the mid 90 transmissions would blow out if you back up under a heavy load. The v-10 blows spark plugs out of there threads.

The 7.3 PSD was the best motor ford had in it's trucks.
You must have never owned any of the 1970's and 80's chevy's that I owned. Lots of junk problems but I think the new ones must be better.:)
 

Jpocket

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
DEL-MAR-VA
Tyner Lawn Service said:
You must have never owned any of the 1970's and 80's chevy's that I owned. Lots of junk problems but I think the new ones must be better.:)
If you read my signature I have 3 of them and have owned 5 actually, and they work everyday just like the new trucks, theres always little minor things to tinker with on an old truck. But they drag the tralier 5-6 days a week with a smile.

My truck does have that little knocking noise when it's cold but GM fully covers it to 100,000 miles. The motors run completely fine. I still wouldn't trade my 6.0 for a FORD. As a matter of fact I would buy another one if I needed it. I think it's a minor thing, i'd rather have a minor noise that the manufacturer will cover, than have a new ford transmission take a sh*t all over the road.
 

Gravel Rat

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
British Columbia
And how how we can't forget the years with collasped lifters you can hear a Chevy coming for miles away clatter clatter and the 350 Chevys that wear out so quick.

How we can forget the 6.5 diesel turd and the gutless wonder 6.2 wow those are good diesels. Then the steering boxes that like ripping off and chev has so many damn parts on the front end that wear out it costs you a fortune to repair. With the roads here so twisty your lucky to get 6 months out of set of tires on a Chev and those years with the external gas tanks that are a little dangerous in a crash.

If you are looking at the older style 3500HD with the 19.5 wheels they are a good truck but Chev put undersized king pins in the front axle so they wear out quick.

If you are going with a regular 1 ton like a F-350 or 3500 Chev get the lightest truck body possible so that means a aluminum mason box or a flatdeck. You also want to go with a telescoping front mount hoist that saves another couple hundred pounds over a scissor hoist.

If your planning on hauling topsoil and landscape materials better consider a 1.5 ton truck there is no way a regular 1 ton will handle 3 yards of gravel it will barely handle 2 yards. You can beef the suspension up with timbrens but that doesn't do anything for the braking power.

If you get a aluminum dump body I was quoted 7000 installed it will give the truck a better payload a regular steel mason box adds close to 2000lbs on the truck.
 

Jpocket

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
DEL-MAR-VA
Gravel Rat said:
And how how we can't forget the years with collasped lifters you can hear a Chevy coming for miles away clatter clatter and the 350 Chevys that wear out so quick.

How we can forget the 6.5 diesel turd and the gutless wonder 6.2 wow those are good diesels. Then the steering boxes that like ripping off and chev has so many damn parts on the front end that wear out it costs you a fortune to repair. With the roads here so twisty your lucky to get 6 months out of set of tires on a Chev and those years with the external gas tanks that are a little dangerous in a crash.

If you are looking at the older style 3500HD with the 19.5 wheels they are a good truck but Chev put undersized king pins in the front axle so they wear out quick.

If you are going with a regular 1 ton like a F-350 or 3500 Chev get the lightest truck body possible so that means a aluminum mason box or a flatdeck. You also want to go with a telescoping front mount hoist that saves another couple hundred pounds over a scissor hoist.

If your planning on hauling topsoil and landscape materials better consider a 1.5 ton truck there is no way a regular 1 ton will handle 3 yards of gravel it will barely handle 2 yards. You can beef the suspension up with timbrens but that doesn't do anything for the braking power.

If you get a aluminum dump body I was quoted 7000 installed it will give the truck a better payload a regular steel mason box adds close to 2000lbs on the truck.
The 350 chevy is the single most produced V8 in THE WORLD, there must be somthing good about them if there were so many of them made. And the Bullsh*t about a chevy wearing out tires in a month is total crap. It's obvious that you couldn't find anything else to say bad about a chevy. The carbureted motors wore out so fast because people didn't set the quadrajets right, and the choke always stuck. which caused gas to get into the oil which thinned the oil and cause the motor to blow prematurely. Chevy just needed to find somone to supply them with a better carb like "Holley" instead of Rochester.

Gravel Rat we can go on and on if you want.:rolleyes: the Shear numbers speak for themselves. the Duramax more than makes up for the 6.2 and 6.5 Diesels. I've heard nothing but bad things about the 6.0 Diesels for has in there trucks, and I already mentioned the Torqsh*t
 

M RASCOE&SONS

LawnSite Bronze Member
my 03 silverado 3500 4x4 kicks butt ,plenty of raw bowtie power and the tires look almost like brand new even after 21000 miles.we have delivered 145 cords of wood this yr and i bet 115 were with the 03 and 30 or so were delivered with my 77 c30 mason dump that still walks the walk but if you want cab fires and transmission problems and no power go ahead and buy a ford f350 masondump that is gonna cost you about $5000 more .IMO!!!!!
 

Jpocket

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
DEL-MAR-VA
M RASCOE&SONS said:
my 03 silverado 3500 4x4 kicks butt ,plenty of raw bowtie power and the tires look almost like brand new even after 21000 miles.we have delivered 145 cords of wood this yr and i bet 115 were with the 03 and 30 or so were delivered with my 77 c30 mason dump that still walks the walk but if you want cab fires and transmission problems and no power go ahead and buy a ford f350 masondump that is gonna cost you about $5000 more .IMO!!!!!
Right on brother!!!...You can't tell these guys anything, as long as a chevy is somewhat mechanically sound, I don't care if it's a 1966 or 2006 it'll still do what it was built to do.
 
Top