Simazine/Atrazine for Pre-emergent

lawn789

LawnSite Member
Im new to lawn care and herbicides and wanted to get an opinion on upcoming pre-emergents. Ive been following a university lawn plan for southern lawns but I havent found much info on a particular herbicide. For the Arkansas area which is where i live they recommend Simazine/Atrazine mix in November. Does anyone else do this around my neck of the woods in November? I was thinking something should be applied before November but I could be wrong. The lawns treated will mostly be centipede in my area.

B-Easy

LawnSite Member
Haven't used it for awhile due to restrictions re. bodies of water and water wells. Switched to Oryzalin for Fall Pre for Winter Annual Broadleaf Weeds in warm-season grasses.

OP
L

lawn789

LawnSite Member
Thank you man. Ill look into the product you mentioned. I was just thinking November may be too late in the fall to start putting down products, but since the info came from U of A (i live in arkansas) I may just go with it.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
usually simazine is put down in february while the grass is still dormant to prevent spring weeds. i think it would kill the grass if you put it down right now because it's not dormant yet.

Digitaria Sanguinalis

LawnSite Senior Member
usually simazine is put down in february while the grass is still dormant to prevent spring weeds. i think it would kill the grass if you put it down right now because it's not dormant yet.
I believe you are confusing Simazine with Atrazine. Like wise Centipede (the grass type the OP has) grass is highly tolerant to Atrazine while actively growing and dormant. Bermuda on the other hand will be severely damaged by an Atrazine application made while not dormant

OP
L

lawn789

LawnSite Member
Thank you. I may look at some average temps for my area for the fall time. Its hot as crap here in summer so who knows the November time may be when the soil temps get to the desired trigger point for pre -emergents. Ill be treating roughly 5 lawns all centipede including my own.