Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get yourself a cone bottom poly tank on a stand, a regenerative blower, a mesh bag, valve and hose. Hook up the blower hose & valve to the bottom opening of tank, hang bag with compost, add food, brew, test, repeat until you have the microbes you want.

It's about proper oxygenation, good compost, right mix of foods and time.

Note: the photos are not to scale. :)

Home appliance Rectangle Gas Kitchen appliance Glass

Light Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire Electric motor

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
good idea barry, if the power goes dead the regen gets a tea bath??? diffuser?? why the bag?? a bucket to load the tank??

I mean really if it was that simple they guys like wallz would not be spending there time on here pumping me for info, nice cone, whats the moving load in the stand or is that a stationary tank??? we have seen a little metal stand like that eat a hole in cone tank, thats why we use a molded one piece tank that has the stand as an integral part of the tank. most of the brewers on the market are just plain junk, tims is a great idea, the big gaudy gray plastic ones work good to, for 6K$. and bills favorite with the stainless and a hole in a IBC are good ones also, but long and short there is some slack brewers out there.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what they were showing off at the tea seminar. Very simple design put together by Matt Slaughter of Soil Foodweb Lab in Corvallis, manufactured & sold by his other company Earthfort. http://www.earthfort.com/store/

Elaine stated that this was the only manufacturer that consistently tests with the lab (go figure) and consistently has good results. Other manufacturers either don't test or haven't done so for years.

Just passing info on, not endorsing anything.

Stationary stand, I prefer basket instead of bag, the 1/3 HP blower had the water rolling quite nicely. Power outages are rare in my neck of the woods. They sell a molded tank, too.

I just picked up a used second brewer for next to nothing, similar tank & stand but with an aquarium pump & diffuser tube installed in the side. You can bet I'll be modifying it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
If you're in the market for a great, simple compost tea brewer, check out the Microbulator 50 at www.microbeorganics.com. I'm very impressed with the results thus far.

Treegal already mentioned it, but the blower below the tea = bad news. If there's a power outage the pump will be damaged. Also, after brewing with and without an extractor bag, you get much more diversity without the bag. We use KIS tea kits, and the only downside is the wood chunks and pine cones that are great for fungal counts, but not good for the main tube that circulates the tea.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That's what they were showing off at the tea seminar. Very simple design put together by Matt Slaughter of Soil Foodweb Lab in Corvallis, manufactured & sold by his other company Earthfort. http://www.earthfort.com/store/

Elaine stated that this was the only manufacturer that consistently tests with the lab (go figure) and consistently has good results. Other manufacturers either don't test or haven't done so for years.

Just passing info on, not endorsing anything.
This might be a little tongue in cheek, but isn't it a little odd that the companies that get the most consistent testing get the most plugs? From what I've learned from Tim and from what Tree has said, this design is weak.

790 Posts
maybe barry was just trying to stir interest in newbie lurkers and i think he posted those pic's cause they where only one available?, we all know" and bar" there's more too it then that. the bag he mentions is impotent if your brewer doesn't circulate or agatate post from the bottom or if your post is at all heavy in anyway since it will settle with out stirring it every so often.

tree, you make a great point about brewer mobility, temp and food, learn that one the hard way with my limited air.

thank god since the last time i posted my whining rant about not making organic's my main approach for my biz cause of lack of interest from customers that things have changed a little for the better for me, ive been landing new customers weekly and has made all the difference in the world to me and my bottom line, allowing me to keep doing what i really what to do. with that being said i going to upgrade my brewer soon to a larger tank and air system, im using tim w design right now and it works fantastic, can't say enough, only limitation to it is in high temps"i need more air" but all i have to do is reduce food stock and brews DO levels are staying in range, also at no fault to his design i have to use a bag or make a extract first and settle out sediment and add to brew for free suspension brewing because of settlement issues with my post.

good brewing is part art part science, nothing simple about it!

holy grail of brewer design, great circulation and DO levels plus easy cleaning!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
This might be a little tongue in cheek, but isn't it a little odd that the companies that get the most consistent testing get the most plugs? From what I've learned from Tim and from what Tree has said, this design is weak.
wow holly snot goblins, for 2900, just spend the extra 100$ and come down here and I will make you one as u watch, let you run it once and see it under a scope, I will even take you fishing, spend another 100$ and we can do a 200 gallon brewer.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
yeah that dirt simple 300 gallon brewer, how do you clean it?? with that 24inch brush???? upen top for me thanks, just cut the tank you say, what happens to the structure of the poly tank???? WE WILL STICK TO THE FORMULA, ALSO FYI the tanks we use are not poly tanks at all. maybe some poly in them but not a lot.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
its the reality that we are left with, when i started off in this path, I was new and fresh and bright as a penny, after getting the hit where it hurts a few times my guard is up as much as possible.

when I was young I when to a good freinds Bar Mitzvah. his grand father called him out to the dance floor in front of every one, and had him stand on a chair. he says," david I want to teach you the last thing you will need to know as a man", at just that moment he kicked the chair and david hit the floor real hard, he then says " dont ever trust any one!!!!!".

I just found out about 5 minutes ago that some pos stole my excavator.............. and crashed the truck it was on. a total loss.....................

·
Banned
4,197 Posts
Hey Barry, nice simple design, it looks like it would fairly inexpensive as well, very similar to the first one I made, now I just do this

Did they have a simple design for an extractor there too?

Bottle Liquid Fluid Personal care Plastic bottle

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.