Lawn Care Forum banner

simple price question

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  accuratelawn 
#1 ·
I have 1000 square feet of beds that need to be filled in with river gravel. How much stone will I need? I will also install plastic edge and landscape barrier. What would you bid? I will be able to drive my truck up to the work area.
Thanks in advance

#7 ·
Accurate, what size stone and how thick do you want it? You may want to reconsider the landscape barrier, if you are referring to a separation fabric. Typically fabrics do not allow the majority of water to get through the fabric and will get quickly clogged by airborne silt, leading to weeds growing on top of the fabric. A quality pre-emergent application will eliminate most of the weed problems and an occasional weeding or spraying will handle any that do sneak in. As for the plastic edging, how much do you need and will you be using a high end product like Dimex Pro or something from the home center.

Price this as you would any other landscape installation. Materials, labor, overhead and profit and than you will know when you are actually making money.

Kirk

#8 ·
Very easy to estimate, but you really need to do the work yourself. Take your overhead (call around if you don't have a supplier) and add your hourly rate * the amount of time it will take YOU to do the work + your fuel expenses and time estimating the job and "walla" there's your perfect number.

#9 ·
Very easy to estimate, but you really need to do the work yourself. Take your overhead (call around if you don't have a supplier) and add your hourly rate * the amount of time it will take YOU to do the work + your fuel expenses and time estimating the job and "walla" there's your perfect number.
Thanks for your help. I realize this is a simple install for those that work with it daily.

#10 ·
A little snappy aren't we. This is an elementary job. What kind of response do you expect?

Rock: LengthxWidthxHeight in feet. Divide by 27. Cubic yardage.

Not enough info for opinion on border and weedblock.
I was just looking for a formula for the amount of stone needed. Thanks for that.
I know this is a simple install for most, but I mow and fertilized mainly. I can and do give advice in the other forums about mowing equipment, routing etc.

#11 ·
Accurate, what size stone and how thick do you want it? You may want to reconsider the landscape barrier, if you are referring to a separation fabric. Typically fabrics do not allow the majority of water to get through the fabric and will get quickly clogged by airborne silt, leading to weeds growing on top of the fabric. A quality pre-emergent application will eliminate most of the weed problems and an occasional weeding or spraying will handle any that do sneak in. As for the plastic edging, how much do you need and will you be using a high end product like Dimex Pro or something from the home center.

Price this as you would any other landscape installation. Materials, labor, overhead and profit and than you will know when you are actually making money.

Kirk
Thanks for the hints with the fabric and preM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.