Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago I aquired a '95 Simplicity Broadmoor lawn tractor, hydrostatic, 14hp V twin with pressure filter lubrication, 38" floating deck and mulch kit. I hadn't used it much until today, but that is one fine little machine! Only thing I do not like is the hand hydro control (mounted on steering column). Turns very tight, steers easy, easy to make straight stripes, cuts and stripes as good as the 52" eXmark TTHP with roller and ProSlide. What a nice little machine. I'd never mowed with a Simplicity before really but have used countless other tractors of all brands and sizes, this is the best for mowing. I traded mowing services for it with intent to sell, but I may keep it to pull a trailer and put a snowplow on and maybe a bagger for leaves (to pickup the dust after mulching with eXmark). One odd thing about it is the deck has one small blade on left and one larger one on the right. I mean like 8" longer on the right than the left! Kind of odd but hey it works very well.
The lack of true zero turning is inconvenient but it turns very tight anyway.
If I get rid of it, I will miss it.
If you need a lawn tractor versatility with commercial construction and performance, I strongly suggest you look at a Simplicity.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Simplicity is what a guy uses to do ball parks with and wrote a book on striping.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David Mellor. Wrote book called Picture Perfect, I've read it. He uses the Simplicity on his home lawn but uses reel mowers at his work, ball diamonds.

·
Banned
920 Posts
Take a close look at how that plastic dash is mounted two the tractor. Mine and a lot of others at the dealer I go to have busted at the lower mounting corners of the dash. I had a 1718 H AGCO Allis. It had plenty of power and it stripes because of that roller on the back of the deck. I really hated mine. I didn't like the hydro drive. For a tractor like mower I would prefer a manuel transmission. I like having a clutch. But thats just me.
It did mow five acres for five years before it gave up.
Let see what else. Lots of flat tires,three starters in the first year.It was ok with the fourth starter for four years. One deck bearing. Averaged one new belt a year. Smoked a lot on start up after first year. Thats all I can remember for now.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
If you need a lawn tractor versatility with commercial construction and performance, I strongly suggest you look at a Simplicity.
So, your a Simplicity expert now.;) Simplicity is not a commercial mower and is not warranted for commercial use. They are a homeowner mower.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
WOW dlcs.

The kid was just telling us a mower story.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Originally posted by chefdrp
WOW dlcs.

The kid was just telling us a mower story.
Yes, and I was just kidding with him. Did ya see the ;) ?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't say it was meant for commercial use. I said it is built well and cuts/stripes just as good as any commercial mower. No, I'm no expert on them LOL I just like the one I have enough to consider keeping it.
No offense taken ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had the same Simplicity mower except 16hp. I used it commercially for about 5 years before buying my first Toro. It does cut great and stripes well. It also got a lot of flat tires. Finally, it threw a rod through the side of the engine. I sold it for parts.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Simplicity is the last true worthwhile tractor type mower. They still build them like they used to. The newer ones run like the older ones and are really quite solid. We sell them at the dealership I work at and the homeowners that don't buy the Bob-Cats buy Simplicity. BTW, Simplicity owns Ferris, Derby, and Snapper. We sell them all along with Bob-Cat and Great Dane. I get to ride a lot of different mowers every day.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tharrell, Wheel Horse still makes 'em tough, we've got a '93 WH 520H that's a tank! 20hp twin Onan, hydro drive, built very heavy with big tires and 5 lug graden tractor wheels in back (if you've ever had to take off rear wheels you know this is a plus. I just don't like the deck design as well. Easy to work on, tough and reliable, easy to use.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We love our new Simplicity Conquest, it only has 125 hrs. on it, and no breakdowns yet, and great dealer support in the past, i will probaly switch to Simplicity commercial Grade Z's when my lazer gives up due to the dealer support we have gotten on the older simplicitys we use to have.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave, I forgot that you had one :)
I think I'll take off the mulching baffles if I keep the thing because the one backyard gated area I mow with it is bi-weekly and I do it first one of the morning, when i used the tractor on it today it was like 8" high and it clumped kinda bad, so discharging would be fine back there (open no beds two or three trees).
I have to say these blades stay sharper longer than any other blade I've used before...

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
I didn't say it was meant for commercial use. I said it is built well and cuts/stripes just as good as any commercial mower.
As does my MTD tractor. So does Ariens, Cubcadet, Lawn pro and John Deer...............

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oops! I meant to get pics of it and some tye stripes with it today, just now remembered, it's dark I'll get them tomorrow.
Pete, I'll put a Simplicity up against any of those you mentioned any day... this is an area I know about, I've used most of the L&G tractors out there...

Jared, looks good!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.