1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Simplicity vs Ferris Zero Turns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Swampy1, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Swampy1

Swampy1 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hi guys,
    My first post here is going to be a question since I am in the market for a new mower. I have a part time lawn care business I operate to make some extra cash for the farm and am in the market for a new mower. The old Ferris IS1500 was used when I bought it and is now pretty beat down and worn out. Since it is very rural, most all of the yards I cut are large and very bumpy old pasture/fields. I have found the Ferris's with a suspension seat to be the best setup, anything else even with a suspension seat is just too brutal. I was looking at IS800 and IS2100's and then ran across a local dealer with a 2020 Simplicity Cobalt with a 28hp EFI Vanguard/Oil guard engine 61" deck, and suspension seat for $7950, the old tag from a few months ago was 10,999. They were quite excited by the prospect of cash and apparently their business is hurting due to the current freakout. The mower looked identical to the IS2100's I have looked at with the exact same transmission/engine/suspension/tires, so I was wondering if there is any actual differences, what they may be? It seems like a good price for a pretty stout mower, I just don't know if there is some seemingly small but drastic difference between the two mowers. Any insight you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

2. Ferris 3200

Ferris 3200 LawnSite Member

Both are owned by Briggs and they do look almost identical. I had to google the cobalt to look at it.
    The only difference that I see is the deck and deck adjust mechanics. Chain on the cobalt vs screw type thing on the ferris. Ferris has the ICD deck. I don’t know what cobalt has.
    I’d ask the dealer.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

Briggs has sold/or is selling Ferris off.

Cam15 likes this.
  4. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Does this make them the same? Maybe they have Ferris air in the tires and Simplicity air in the other tires??.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Ferris 3200

Ferris 3200 LawnSite Member

I remember hearing that a while back now that you mention it.
    Is that good or bad for Ferris?

Cam15 likes this.
  6. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

I always thought Briggs did well with Ferris but apparently it's not part of their core portfolio. Unsure who is picking them up.

Cam15 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Swampy1

Swampy1 LawnSite Member
    from PA

That made me pretty nervous so I called Ferris and ended up talking with someone who seemed to know quite a bit about this whole thing. I guess on the plus side, between the price that Briggs is willing to accept for Ferris and the contract they recently signed for their new manufacturing facility it would be insanely expensive to just buy them, shut everything down and shift production elsewhere. Apparently John Deere and Stihl are interested and couple others I can't remember now, as well as some private equity firms. As far as the mowers go, at least with the cobalt I was told they are the same mower, Simplicity's usually have striping rollers on deck and/or lights. Even though it doesn't have a sticker, if it has a slope front it is an ICD deck. There are no such things as slope front non-ICD decks. As far as the chains vs screw hangars, I was told that was a mid-year change for Ferris in general, so depending what dealers have you will see them with and without it. According to upper level man, when you see them being built the same parts are pulled and bolted onto each brand. When I checked some parts prices including suspension components the prices were virtually identical. Whether or not any of the above is completely or even remotely truthful, who knows; it's just what we have to go on for now.

douglee25, Ferris 3200 and Cam15 like this.
  8. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

And that there is the few differences. Nothing to do with them being sold had to do with his question.

Cam15 likes this.