1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Single axle enclosed 3500lb axle, nearing the payload

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rippinryno, Mar 26, 2020.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

My trailer has a payload of 1660lbs according to the derated 2990lb limit due to it not having trailer brakes.

I'm putting a 800lb stander and a 640lb stander in it. There's 1440lbs already. Add in my trimmer rack and 2 trimmers and a backpack blower and i''m pretty much at the payload.

Any thoughts on if this baby will handle this. I'm not at the 3500 axle rating, and am probably close to about 500lbs under that on a daily basis. Will the axle hold up?

The past 2 seasons I was loading around 1500lbs into the trailer and didn't have problems, but i'm being told by some folks in the industry that my axle will bend and it won't last long having it loaded near the limit.

I would double axle, but i actually like the single axle, tires wear less and it's just a tighter setup for me.

I'm still legal, but getting close to the limit. Trailer weighs 1300lbs empty.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Remember that tounge weight is carried by the truck and at 10 oercent that is 300 pounds that gets taken off trailer weight there. I have a similar setup and when the axle goes it will be because I rode up on a curb or hit a large pothole. I'd have a plan to replace the axle in place for when it bends. I don't think there are alot of axle choices from 3500 to 5000 pounds so start figuring out things now... heavier springs, maybe a spring over flip and some different wheels might be needed.

Mdirrigation and Cam15 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

Trailer is brand new and if i break the axle it's going to the trailer shop lol. That's my plan, haha.

I have hit plenty of curbs, intentionally, you just have to know how to hit them right, lol

4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Well now I want to know how that turns out.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

You still have a 3500 lb axle, brakes or not , you should be fine. Although some folks will kill anything........

sjessen, Cam15 and That Guy Gary like this.
  6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

If the axle is good quality it'll do what it's rated for, the ratings are fairly conservative on well built trailers.

7. Optimum Lawn

Optimum Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would go to dual axle 7x14 if you can afford it and licensing/weight GVWR is not a issue for you in jumping through them hoops. Spend once cry once.
    I have had a 6x12 2990 rated trailer break the frame from being close to max load rating and rough roads causing flex and a break.
    Then went to a 7x14 3500lbs axles and it worked great.
    Now I use 8.5x22 with 6000lbs axles with about 3000lbs of payload 4000lbs of trailer. That will never ever stress this trailer....something to consider really
    Ultimately your choice your money so do whats right for you.
    Some good info in this vid

hort101 and Brucey like this.
  8. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Bronze Member

The axel won’t bend running at capacity during what it was intended to do. Hitting curbs or bad pot holes and all bets are off. That being said a 5200 pound trailer with brakes would be a lot better.

hort101 likes this.
  9. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

If it's brand new, ask the shop to swap the axle out for a larger capacity one. It'll likely cost you peanuts because they'll credit you most of the cost on the 3500 lb piece.

10. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

THanks for the points guys. I think i'll wait for it to flop before i replace it. I know it should hold up just wondered what some of you guys thought. I have a dual axle open trailer that I use for cars or heavier equipment, it's just not a lawn care setup. Being solo I really like the 6x12 size and am slightly attached to it after using it for a few seasons now. I'll give this one a go now that i'm running slightly more weight, just hoping I can still do so with very little issues. the 32 wright stander is in the front and the 52 wright stander is toward the rear. This weight the majority of the weight is sitting back closer to the axle.