Size and Type Recs for First Commercial ZTR

MA225

LawnSite Member
I have a side hustle lawn care operation that I have been growing steadily. I have been running a Hustler 42" Raptor, which is their cheapest residential unit and want something that I know was built for commercial use. My goal is to keep this a side hustle, but be able to pack as many yards in one day as I can by myself. I did 9 the other day (with a super spread out route...) and had capacity for maybe two more. I'm still working on route density.

Anyways, I'm looking at getting either a traditional ztr OR a stander. I'm not a fan of the walk behinds with a sulky, but I'm open to being challenged on that.

Yards range in the .2 acres to .7 acres range but some of my yards have smaller gates that I can't fit the 42" through.

I'm leaning towards a Scag V Ride II 36" because I saw an awesome vid from Brian's Lawn Maintenance and Stanley Dirtmonkey saying that if they were starting off again, they'd buy that smaller unit then get a larger ZTR. Plus, the equipment shop that I use deals Scags.

I want to know people's thoughts on the 36" being my only mower, or if y'all would say to go bigger, and just carry a push mower.

Randall Riley

LawnSite Member
I'm a side hustler like you. I have a JD 42" high-end residential ZTR that I cut 8 yards with. Most are under an acre but one is about 3 acres. I'll be upgrading next fall but will stick with a 42" because most of my yards, with the exception of the 3-acre, have a lot of narrower passages throughout the yards that a bigger deck would just increase my weed eating.

CJIII1983

LawnSite Senior Member
I would not take YouTube advice. You got to look at the size gates of yards you plan on targeting.

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
i bought a wright stander x 52" this year and absoulty love it. Stander in my opinion is the way to go. But too each their own

OP
MA225

MA225

LawnSite Member
I would not take YouTube advice. You got to look at the size gates of yards you plan on targeting.
That's fair. I don't plan on going over the size of yards I'm doing now... so probably .75 acres tops. I'd bet that the speed of the Scag will still increase my productivity even with a smaller deck...

OP
MA225

MA225

LawnSite Member
i bought a wright stander x 52" this year and absoulty love it. Stander in my opinion is the way to go. But too each their own

That's awesome. We have a Wright dealer about 20-30 minutes away otherwise I'd consider their 36"... it's super compact.

52" is the other size I'd be interested in because that's the largest deck that would fit on my current trailer. What did you upgrade from?

I couldn't get a 52" in most of the back yards I do, so I'm still leaning towards the 36".

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
That's awesome. We have a Wright dealer about 20-30 minutes away otherwise I'd consider their 36"... it's super compact.

52" is the other size I'd be interested in because that's the largest deck that would fit on my current trailer. What did you upgrade from?

I couldn't get a 52" in most of the back yards I do, so I'm still leaning towards the 36".

I went from a 36 walk behind gravely to the stander. If you have a lot of gated yeards then the 36 would be more practical. Id advise the floating deck model not fixed though if they make it. And i only have 2 yards i cant fit it through the gate on so i bring my 21" toro for those backyards. But i love the wright especially the new ones have no grease fitting either. Easier on maintenance

OP
MA225

MA225

LawnSite Member
36 walk behind and 52 stander is the best combination I've found for most suburban areas.

Thanks for the tip. That's what I've been wondering and wanting to work towards.

Top Forums