Skag 48” walk behind must be full throttle to start blades

Lmac09

LawnSite Member
Skag model SW48-14KA With a Kawasaki FC420. My dad bought this mower new around 15-20 years ago. It still runs ok but is In need of some maintenance. Problem is that the blades have to be started at full throttle or it will kill the engine. I’ve adjusted the clutch and belt tension. Compression is good. What else could cause this?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Skag model SW48-14KA With a Kawasaki FC420. My dad bought this mower new around 15-20 years ago. It still runs ok but is In need of some maintenance. Problem is that the blades have to be started at full throttle or it will kill the engine. I’ve adjusted the clutch and belt tension. Compression is good. What else could cause this?
is that a twin cylinder engine? I thought the 14 hp was a single cylinder?

OP
L

Lmac09

LawnSite Member
I suspected the spindles. But they turn freely with no load And have been greased. its been like this for the past few years but has progressively gotten worse to where even at full throttle it will bog the engine when engaging the blade.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
May be time fer a nnew coil. New plug ? Correct gap? Valves adjusted. ?

OP
L

Lmac09

LawnSite Member
Valves have been adjusted. New plug, factory gap was spot on. I may throw a new coil at it. pretty sure its still running the original.

Jonathon Singleton

LawnSite Member
Valves have been adjusted. New plug, factory gap was spot on. I may throw a new coil at it. pretty sure its still running the original.
Try an inline spark tester and watch what the spark does when engaging the pto. Most of the time a coil doesn't act up until they get hot. Maybe try to choke it and see if that helps, could be starving for fuel under a load