1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Loader

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by B&K LawnCare, Apr 4, 2006.

1. B&K LawnCare

B&K LawnCare LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a skid loader for landscaping, What is the best used one to buy that is reasonable?

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I say bobcat since my company is Bobcat Landscaping service. I would say be careful with used skid steers, people like to abuse them. I have seen real junk go for good money and times ou will find a bargain. I would buy a brand that you have a dealer close. I have bobcat and a dealer with in 5 miles. How this helps is service and variety of attachments for rental. I know my local dealer will not rent an attachment for another brand of loader even if it would fit up and work. Attachments are expensive to buy i own 4 and anything else i will rent.
    Mike

3. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I say the same advice. I think Bobcat is the best, but I just bought a Gehl. I really got a steal in it. I got it from someone I already knew, so i have a good idea of how it was taken care of.

4. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

i prefer bobcat, i have used them all of my life, i have also ran new holland skid loaders and they are very nice too, but i have a 763 bobcat and has plenty of power and does everything i need it to do!

5. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

I have an 1986 Bobcat 743 I bought last year to install an in-ground pool. I found it locally from an individual and it has performed pretty well. It has good power, starts easily, and runs good. You will need a heavy duty trailer,10,000 LBS GVW with brakes to get from site to site. The machine weighs 4700 lbs with the loader bucket.

You should be able to get a good used 743 for around 5-7K. You can check Ebay to research prices. There are always many of them listed. I would make sure that I tested it out before agreeing to purchase.

Make sure that when it is in neutral the unit sits still without creeping. That is a pretty common problem that needs dealer service to repair unless you know what you are doing. The only problem that I have had with mine was an oil leak where the throttle linkage attaches to the motor. I was able to get the part from the local dealer and fixed it pretty easily.

The 743's are powered from the v-1702 Kubota 36hp diesel engine that is out of production. If you have problem on this model you have to either rebuild your own or find one re-manufactured.

Good luck they are really handy to have around and are great tools to expand your business.:headphones:

6. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp LawnSite Member

I prefer cat but the cost a sh*t load. Nothing is built tougher. Second to that is holland and then bobcat. Bobcat is a good all around company but the dealer here by me sucks, thats why Ive been pushed away from them.

Ken