Skid sprayer construction

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
Long story short:

For some reason I have had an influx of calls from people wanting to get on a yearly Fert and squirt plan. I don't spray, but at the same time I don't want to continue saying no to customers. Currently I only do granular, but I want to venture into building a small skid as I don't have a sprayer, and I think a backpack would take way too much time for an entire yard.

Any threads on constructing a skid? I am looking to only make something to slide into the back of my truck, 50/100 gallons or so. I can't justify anything larger and if it comes to that I will get a larger tank. It's mainly going to be used for spraying post emergent. Thanks.

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Long story short:

For some reason I have had an influx of calls from people wanting to get on a yearly Fert and squirt plan. I don't spray, but at the same time I don't want to continue saying no to customers. Currently I only do granular, but I want to venture into building a small skid as I don't have a sprayer, and I think a backpack would take way too much time for an entire yard.

Any threads on constructing a skid? I am looking to only make something to slide into the back of my truck, 50/100 gallons or so. I can't justify anything larger and if it comes to that I will get a larger tank. It's mainly going to be used for spraying post emergent. Thanks.
I built the exact same thing that I can slide in/out of my truck. It was very easy and cost about $1000 for every thing. I used a Hypro Pump D252 with Honda 5HP engine from Northern Tools and hose (except 3/8" hose from pump and gun which I bought from Rittenhouse) parts from Home Depot. I built the base from Pressure Treated lumber and PVC lumber. After 3 years of use--It looks as good as the day I built it. My tank is 40gal but wish that I had the 50 gallon. Real simple to replace. The pump from Rittenhouse is $800 with controller and reducer. I have an extra that I bought as a spare but nothing ever goes wrong. It's available cheap, just PM me. In addition to building the sprayer, I built a small PVC wagon that I could slide the skid from truck (empty) onto and can just pull it anywhere. Really easy with the pneumatic tires. Saves trying to move the truck and pulling very long sections of hose. My hose from pump is only 150'. It takes longer to mix up the chemical or fertilize than it takes to spray a 20K lawn. Of course, I use a 5' walking boom, a greendoctor design, with AI Teejet tips that switch from fine to course. This allows you to use almost any amount of carrier (Water) to mix. Generally I use 4 gal/K of fertilize mix. The Hypro Pump is great for pressure up to 200PSIG if needed. Fertilize is usually around 75PSIG and fungicides about 100PSIG. Anyway, if need any help just PM me. I live just over in Kingsport, TN. Sprayer is in SC now but could make a couple of photos towards mid-month when I start the Gallery pre-em. I went through a whole host of 12V Pumps. Just not enough CONSTANT pressure or volume to do a good job. I'd get that idea (FIMCO's) out of my mind now--been there, done that. Might work for someone that has days to spray a lot but just not very efficient.
Roy

Last edited:

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Roy

You have given Very good advice about Gasoline powered Pumps. We all have our favorite equipment, People are different. But I wouldn't discount 12 V sprayers for start ups. They might not keep up with your experienced speed but can be fine for Old men like me and young newbies.

I am an equipment nut and have accumulated a lot of junk over the years. Too much in fact to list here but my point is 12 V pumps are cheap and effective if used correctly. Volume to pressure ratio compared to a Gasoline pump Don't cut it for high production. But they do work fine at a normal production speed.

My first truck mounted sprayer was a 2 (two) 12 V 5 gpm RV water pumps hooked up in parallel to give more volume. Some pumps if hooked in series will give higher pressure. But there is a 220 PSI 12 V available that works well for shooting tall trees.

At present time I have 2 (two) 12 V sprayer each pushing 300 ft of 3/8 hose that I use for weed control. One is select weed control and the other is roundup. I also have several other 12 V pumps pushing 15 to 65 ft of hose.

At the price of 12 V pumps and the easy of maintenance why not have several dedicated 12 V the same as you do with back packs sprayers.

Big thing I see a lot of guys doing is mounting a 15 or 25 gallon on a mower and then driving is to the place they are doing the spray. I do that myself on odd jobs.

BTW The rechargeable Gel batteries sold at Tractor supply for $ 19.95 and are the same one used in the SRS 600 Shurflo will push a 12 V pump all day long on a single charge.

REASON18

LawnSite Member
Long story short:

Take a look at these pictures of the skid I bought for $40 last year. Try not to laugh to hard. I had to replace the motor, pump and hoses and a couple of fittings but other than that it works very well. I only have a handful of yards (hint hint...i would like more if you do not want to hassle with the calls and doing the spraying....call me!!).

Anyhow, I can slide this skid in and out of my truck by myself. This one has a Hypro 4-roller pump on it and I just replaced it with a better model to spray fertilizer. Everything came from Agri-Supply in Garner.

I thought this might give you some ideas....hope it helps. Stop laughing... its been cleaned up and painted since the picture. This is what it looked like when I bought it. I figured the frame, the Hanney Reel and Tank was well worth $40...but I am going to have to replace the tank....

skid2.jpg

skid.jpg

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Hey, I have one of those with a vertical tank and 3-point hitch on a big tractor. Those roller pumps are great for spraying big orchard trees and fields. That tank and frame are worth the cost. Steel brushes and paint do wonders for.

OP
Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
Take a look at these pictures of the skid I bought for $40 last year. Try not to laugh to hard. I had to replace the motor, pump and hoses and a couple of fittings but other than that it works very well. I only have a handful of yards (hint hint...i would like more if you do not want to hassle with the calls and doing the spraying....call me!!).

Anyhow, I can slide this skid in and out of my truck by myself. This one has a Hypro 4-roller pump on it and I just replaced it with a better model to spray fertilizer. Everything came from Agri-Supply in Garner.

I thought this might give you some ideas....hope it helps. Stop laughing... its been cleaned up and painted since the picture. This is what it looked like when I bought it. I figured the frame, the Hanney Reel and Tank was well worth $40...but I am going to have to replace the tank....
Hey man no shame their. I'd pay 40 for that TODAY! Again, this afternoon I had another fert/squirt I had to say no to, in a nicee neighborhood on top of that. I honestly don't know what it is, been doing this about 5-6 years now and NEVER had this many requests for spraying. Unfortunately it's the exact opposite of what I planned for this winter as I am more of a lawn maintenance guy. PM me your number and business and I'll see if I can throw you a bone.

REASON18

LawnSite Member
Hey, I have one of those with a vertical tank and 3-point hitch on a big tractor. Those roller pumps are great for spraying big orchard trees and fields. That tank and frame are worth the cost. Steel brushes and paint do wonders for.
They sell a bunch of those pumps. And the one I have seems to do the trick pretty well. The best thing is that it is paid for. Makes me happy.

REASON18

LawnSite Member
Hey man no shame their. I'd pay 40 for that TODAY! Again, this afternoon I had another fert/squirt I had to say no to, in a nicee neighborhood on top of that. I honestly don't know what it is, been doing this about 5-6 years now and NEVER had this many requests for spraying. Unfortunately it's the exact opposite of what I planned for this winter as I am more of a lawn maintenance guy. PM me your number and business and I'll see if I can throw you a bone.
I will. I can pay you a "bird-dog" fee for any bones!! I'm the opposite of you. I would rather spray than cut.

OP
Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
They sell a bunch of those pumps. And the one I have seems to do the trick pretty well. The best thing is that it is paid for. Makes me happy.
So you think I can construct one between Northern tool and Agri supply? Can you post a picture of your spray gun/wand?

REASON18

LawnSite Member