Skid sprayer help please?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Garrett1234, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Member

Hello all. 2500 OTD budget. I have googled and searched but my limited knowledge of the topic prohibits me from knowing good from bad and the basic needed pieces, pressures, important addons, etc. If there is such a thing as a turnkey skid sprayer, what should I buy? Desired use as follows: 80% for turf application and 20% for acreage upkeep such as roundup. On turf would want to apply pre emergent, fungicide if needed, bio stimulants (its thick)....basically turf use. Size goal: Would love to put in my POLARIS ranger. I believe an agitator is key from my research? In time approx 3 to 4 acres of lawn to upkeep. I would like to buy one that lasts. That’s proven. Lastly: I say skid sprayer but is there something in this general price range I could ride? Sounds way easier and more fun than what i am planning on doing. Example: a triumph is 8 to 10k and I can’t justify that for me. Sorry if I’m not asking this right, I’m just really struggling in where to start my research and hoped I could just jump to the purchase point and skip all the research and lean on you all for help. Thank you again.

2. Mr. Mow Man

Mr. Mow Man LawnSite Member

3. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

Just buy a used rideon. I bought one for $3300 included delivery from Iowa to GA. Made it back in a week.

4. Garrett1234

5. Garrett1234

Mind if I ask what you purchased? Thank you. I like the idea of riding however the costs seem like a large spread between skid and ride

6. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

T3000. About to buy another new one. BTW yesterday we did a property that is 5.9 acres. Spreading fert we did that property in 39minutes. Plus 20 other properties.

7. Garrett1234

Wow. Okay that sounds like the way to go. I’ll see what I can find out there for sure. Thanks

ETM likes this.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Remember the advertisements and features list are sometimes overly optimistic. A twelve volt pump will not have a lot of power.
    Sometimes after you take delivery--you will find that you can either have 100 pounds pressure or 2 gals per minute--but not both at the same time. Also, take into account the friction loss in the long skinny hose. Pressure at the pump is one thing--pressure at the end of the long hose is less due to pressure loss resulting from friction in the hose.
    A single wide area Floodjet nozzle for weed control would work well. Two would increase your swath width to possibly 8 feet wide. Add an extra small nozzle for a trim nozzle--spraying the exact width of your Polaris UTV. With a few modifications you could mount the nozzles out front for better control and visibility. Add a couple valves so you can keep the hand spray gun for when needed. Coiled hose optional.
    Agitation is rare in this type of sprayer--except for "jet " agitation from agitation nozzles in the tank. You don't need much agitation--unless you apply a product that settles out.

Pre-emergent as a liquid? Fungicide? Not sure if you would have enough gallons per thousand sq ft for that.

Suppose your output was 2 gals per minute--and your coverage was 3000 sqft per minute. You would have only two-thirds gal per thousand. At best.

Hopefully others can chime in.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  9. Garrett1234

Thanks riggle. Do u have a manufacturer at least you prefer or trust I can get in contact with? One u might suggest?

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic