Lawn Care Forum banner

Skid sprayer in trailer?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Laner 
#1 ·
I was at my local JDL today to pick up some granular pre-emergent. I had mentioned to the sales guy that I plan on purchasing my first skid sprayer soon, and will be placing it at the front of my trailer. At this statement, he responded that the vibrations from my trailer would cause excessive damage to the sprayer, and that all skid sprayers MUST be in the bed of a truck. I never heard of such a thing. So, is what he said true?

#3 ·
If you put it on a heavy duty bobcat trailer without any weight and drive over pot holes then I can see his point.
I think you'll be fine if you use a light duty landscaping trailer and even better if you are also hauling mowers or bags of fertilizer. The weight with make springs take the impact vs the whole trailer.

#6 ·
Sounds like the JDL guy has his head in his anus...typical.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
Works OK. No problem.

HOWEVER, I should point out that a friend of mine had his Lesco 200 gal skid sprayer on a trailer, years ago. A welder built the trailer for him. He accidentally backed up and jackknifed the trailer slightly when turning around on a dirt road. No problem. Tank contained about 25 gals diazinon solution. Ten minutes later on a busy 4 lane street. Trailer came loose and skidded to the side of the road and rolled over, landing in the grass of a front yard. Police and Hazmat team called. Lucky he had absorbent pillows (as required by law) to contain most of the spill. He got a ticket for no safety chains. Actually he had safety chains, but they were attached to the hitch. The steel tongue broke 12 inches behind the hitch. He claimed the solution was only about 5 gallons. He still had to later dig out about a hundred pounds of contaminated soil and resod. Tank and reel were destroyed.
He spread the soil on his own property and a friend of his dissolved the ingredients of the pesticide absorbent pillows in his spray tank and used it up, (after plugging his filters a couple of times). Coulda been a lot worse.

#9 ·
I have had my skid on a trailer for the last 3 years and have had no issues. Would be nice to have a custom enclosed trailer, but the open trailer works for now. Really like having the truck bed available for other use and when I am ready to spray/fert I hook up to the trailer and go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.