Skid Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hobatch, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Hobatch

Hobatch LawnSite Member

Here's what I would like to do for a skid sprayer setup.

1st tank, no pump, gravity fed that just contains water. If it has a pump that's fine, but I'm not going out of my way for it. This tank should be 60 gallons. This is the refill tank, but also used to fill backpacks for perimeter pest controls as well as when I need to mix a specialty (ie tzone, drive, etc).

2nd tank, 12v pump, 2 gpm with 60 psi max. This tank will be about 15 gallons. This is the actual spray tank. The idea here is when I need to blanket spray a property I mix what I need in the spray tank and use it. So if I need triclopyr I can mix that, quinclorac, 3way, sulfentrezone, etc.

The 15 gallon tanks I've looked at only have 30 feet of hose. My plan is to just replace the hose with probably 250-300 feet. My only concern is that I'll lose a tremendous amount of pressure by doing this. Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether that's a problem or not, and if so what I can do to solve it (replace pump with higher quality pump most likely).

Thank you.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

How big is the hose you plan to use? Is there a reel?
    What is the rate of flow? 2 gpm? 1 gpm?
    A bigger hose at a low flow rate does not lose much pressure due to hose friction.

3. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ive been considering a very similar set up. One 60 gallon with water across the very front of the skid, and then two 29 gallon tanks, or smaller 15 gallon tanks for different chemicals mixes combined with two separate 150 foot hoses on reels. That way I can keep sterilant and Gly separate from products that will be applied to grasses/yards and never "Cross the streams"....LOL (ghostbuster movie quote for those wondering).

I was wondering the same thing regarding the hose/length. The sprayers I was looking at were rated to 5.5 GPM, and up to 60 psi max. I will be following this one for anyone with inputs...thanks!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. Hobatch

Hobatch LawnSite Member

Flow rate is 2gpm with 60 PSI max. I'm likely going to run 250-300 feet of 3/8 or 1/2 inch hose. May not have a reel at first, but definitely planning for one. Also considering constructing the mount for the reel from treated lumber.

Few more things to know. I have to be able to lift this when its empty. That's why I can't really go with a heavy duty metal skid. It'll have to be able to be disassembled to be removed because its just me and I do not have a forklift. Basically I have to do a fully custom job.

Thanks for your reply.

5. Hobatch

Hobatch LawnSite Member

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to tell you--but sometimes pump manufactures are optimistic about their products. They usually use a freshly charged battery at 13.2 volts. Two Gpm at 60 psi--sometimes that means--your output will be either 60 psi or 2 gals per minute--but not both. More gallons means less pressure. More pressure means less gallons per minute. To reduce pressure drop in the hose--you need half-inch hose.You can go cheap poly hose here as you will not be using high pressure.

For instance, at 2 gal per minute, a 3/8 hose loses 25 psi per 100 feet of hose, (if it is straight, coiled hose loses more.)

See chart below for several hose sizes.

http://www.ultimatewasher.com/hose-pressure-loss.htm

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    On a call likes this.
  8. Hobatch

Hobatch LawnSite Member

Thank you. That's really helpful. I'll most likely start playing with configurations this year so I can be ready to go next year. Really appreciate the information.