Skid Sprayers... Which one should I buy?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lone Mower, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Lone Mower

Lone Mower LawnSite Member

Hello,

I’m about to get my Pesticide certification and would truly appreciate getting some opinions on which type and brand of skid sprayer to buy. Thanks!

2. ETM

ETM LawnSite Silver Member
    from GEORGIA

Buy a ride on.

Lone Mower likes this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to ask the seller if the reel can be mounted sideways so the hose pays out to the left--not strait out the back of the truck. Do not go with an anemic pump. You want a Hypro 10 gal per minute pump--nothing smaller. Gas engine. Diaphragm pump. Avoid 3/8 inch hose--too much friction loss, ( unless you can be satisfied with less than 2 gals per minute).

Lone Mower likes this.
  4. dishman89

dishman89 LawnSite Member

Gregson Clark

Lone Mower likes this.
  5. TotalTurf318

TotalTurf318 LawnSite Member

I bought a Gregson Clark 200V. Actually found it on this site so you might want search on here for a used one. Saved me about half of a new one.

Lone Mower likes this.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

And be sure the reel is electric power, (12 volt).
    Also get the full measurements. Then measure your truck and spreader. My bed was 61 inches wide. Sometimes your spreader will not fit on your truck behind the sprayer. You may need to go with the 50 pound Earthway professional spreader--smaller and lighter.
    Three-quarter ton truck is better.
    You may be able to mount the sprayer to the right--so that you will be able to stack a row of fert bags vertically to the left of the sprayer. Spreader will probably fit --that way.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

This

The skid sprayer is so old school it’s like asking what kind of non motorized reel mower should you buy...

Either have a tank of fresh on your truck that feeds your back pack via gravity to start out with ... or buy a ride on spreader/sprayer

You’re either small enough to not need a ride on... or you need a ride on.

8. OP
    OP
    Lone Mower

Can you please explain in more detail about the tank and back pack setup? Thanks!

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Ok
    So a mother tank or a fresh water tank.
    Why do you need or want one?
    1) you don’t want to fill or mix on a customers property ... I just unprofessional and what if you spill?
    Product should stay at the vehicle no matter what it is, your spill response kit should be at the the truck and you have a level clear work surface in the firm of the tail gate or bed.

2) quick refills, no wandering around looking for a spigot.

So what is it?
    Can be 100 or 200 gallon plastic/poly tank
    All you need is a ball valve that leads to a hose, gravity feeds water to refill your 4-5 gallon back pack sprayer (or your ride on)
    No pump required.

You can get a tank cheap.
    Is it faster to premix 100 gallons and just refill from that with whatever product you’re working with?
    Yes but by the time you need that you are rolling and got lots of work.
    You can have a 300 gallon mother/fresh water tank and a smaller tank for premix (like 100 or 200 gallons)

When you keep fresh water you can always make “something else”
    Like if you’re spraying for broad leaf but also need to make a quick tank of round up or make a sprayer of insectide to treat some shrubs you just scouted while you were on the property.
    Something like that.
    Fresh water also helps you clean up or rinse something off.

Lone Mower and phasthound like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Lone Mower

Thank you for the explanation.