Skid steer glass exploded for no reason

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jan 1, 2020.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I was pushing gravel out with the 299d and the front door just exploded. I spent 10 minutes looking for bullet holes inside the cab. I guess the cab must have tweaked in on it? I want to believe it was a crazy self levitating rock but the bucket was half full and the cab sits so high and far back compared to bobcats and other machines. anyone have this happen? And are there any good sources for replacement glass? Is oem better or all the same. I see aftermarket on eBay for $240.

2. OP
    OP
    4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Just occurred to me I have all four circular heat vents pointing at the windshield in order to keep all my hot air breathe from fogging it up. I think it was a temperature thing

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Temp. shouldn't cause it, if that were the case everyone would be dealing with that issue. I would put my money on it flexing somehow and shattering it. Maybe the bolts holding it in were not tension properly. I have had gravel and rocks get launched out of the tilt cylinders, never lost glass because of that but have seen rocks fly on occasion. Sucks regardless.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Had a side window shatter as I was going up a driveway.

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

So it looks like maybe I lost a plastic bushing/cushion type thing when the door was taken off last time when ran out of fuel. This is probably what did it.

hort101 likes this.