1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Skid unit or PTO off truck

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Fireman lawn care LLC, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Fireman lawn care LLC

Fireman lawn care LLC LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm Robert, I'm new to this as I am wanting to get started with my business at the first of the year. My question is a bought a 1ton and it has a standard transmission that I can install a 6bolt PTO on it and run a pump off that, instead of a pony pump. is this something that is worth even trying to do or just buy a skid and be done with it.

2. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Buy a skid.
    No use in the truck running all the time while spraying.

RDALawns likes this.
  3. Fireman lawn care LLC

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks

4. And, you'll get to about 25MPH ONCE when you forget to turn it off.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

How much power do you need? If you are planning to spray tall trees--power take-off is the way to go. More power and more gallons per minute are available, provided you have a big, expensive pump. Do you need 300 pounds pressure? 25 gals per minute? Do you plan to spray expressway medians?

6. Fireman lawn care LLC

I don't need that much power, just going to spray lawns. Maybe a few businesses nothing to big really. I think I'm just going to buy the skid unit and be done. What skid unit would be a great one to buy for getting started?

7. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

How big is your truck? How much of the same chemicals are you going to spray each day? These simple questions will determine how big a tank your getting. Plus no one asked. But are you licnened with your state to spray yards? If not stop right now because you can't spray yards without a license!!!!

hort101 likes this.
  8. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

I'd think a 100 gallon tank is more than big enough. How many feet of hose to you need for your average yards in your market? Do you want a electric (12 volt) hose real or do it the manual way? A 6 or 12 roller pump? All of options listed add to price of units. 1 tank unit or 2 tank units. Without more input from you no one can give you the info your asking for.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Fireman lawn care LLC

The truck is a 1ton flat bed, I was lookin at the 200gal tanks. Just so if I get a lot of lawn I will not have to fill up as much. I'll need 200 to 250 feet of hose, I'll have to have electric hose reel for sure! I don't have a clue of the pumps as I have not looked into then. I want a good pump where I don't have to worrie about breaking down middel of seasons. I'm wanting to get started after the first of the year, I've bought my truck and went and got my business name from the state, I've got the study material so I can take my test, witch I will have before I spray my first lawn. So really any pointers would help

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

With a one-ton flatbed--I would say you could get a 300 gal tank. Actually the plastic tank is the cheapest part. If you don't need only 200 gallons--this year--then you are still OK for the future. Most of us operate with a 300 foot hose and electric reel. You probably want a Hypro diaphragm pump. Roller pumps are cheaper--not as durable--not suited for high pressure nor for any kind of powder dissolved in the water.

Important question--are you planning to apply your fert with a spreader?
    If you are planning on liquid fertilizer (and want to avoid fertilizer burn from a hot mixture), you need to dissolve it in more water--300 or 400 gal tank is better. Bigger pump may be needed. Maybe 10 gal per minute--because after friction loss in the 300 feet hose--(15 percent per 100 feet) you will probably get around 4 gals per minute at the gun.

RDALawns likes this.