• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Skid vs PG

IRS

LawnSite Member
Trying to understand the difference in amounts of AI and water used to cover an acre using a CL gun/skid vs PG or other ride on. Some label's will tell you to use 20gal water or more per acre. How does this work when using a PG? and why?

indyturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
Your using the same amount of AI per K when you use a ride-on or any type of low volume system, the only thing different is your using less water.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Your using the same amount of AI per K when you use a ride-on or any type of low volume system, the only thing different is your using less water.
Waaay less water.

jspray

LawnSite Member
All the water does is allow for uniform spreading of the pesticide--water has no other value. We hate water--it kills time and profit.

Studies were done at NCSU which showed more weed control activity of glyphosate with no dilution--spraying straight in a Herbi controlled droplet appicator.

A lot of water/solution is needed in a hand hose/hand gun operation as this is a gross method of application and not a percision one. One actually wonders how such an application does not violate label restrictions on overlap and spot rate per ac. maximums.

jasontimm

LawnSite Senior Member
I think i unserstand your question, so try this,....It comes down to application speed, ride-ons have faster ground speed than walking (as you know) so thats why you have the AI diluted so much with a skid sprayer, and more amount of AI (hotter mix) in a ride-on, so you will have the same amount of AI in 1k regardless of whether you hand spray with a skid or ride it with a PG or whatever brand. It is just two diffrent styles of application of chemicals. Hope this helps...????

OP
I

IRS

LawnSite Member
The light just turned on with the ground speed comment!!! Why don't the product labels reflect this? they just say 20 gal or more per acre

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
All the water does is allow for uniform spreading of the pesticide--water has no other value. We hate water--it kills time and profit.

Studies were done at NCSU which showed more weed control activity of glyphosate with no dilution--spraying straight in a Herbi controlled droplet appicator.

A lot of water/solution is needed in a hand hose/hand gun operation as this is a gross method of application and not a percision one. One actually wonders how such an application does not violate label restrictions on overlap and spot rate per ac. maximums.
Which is why I do not have a lawn application gun in the truck or attached to any of my power sprayers. All of my lawn applications are sprayed through a boom or a single nozzle wand with the proper fan tip for the spray volume required. Application volume can range from 20-160 gallons per acre.

There is a big difference in glyphosate effect in varying water volumes, provided sufficient and accurate coverage of target weeds is attained. I get the best effect from a 20-40 GPA volume. Note that I am normally targeting tall weeds and rank overgrowth. Not small seedling weeds in a flat field. There, I would try as low as 10-20 GPA.