1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

skidsteer vs tractor

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scott185, Feb 8, 2001.

1. scott185

scott185 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I will be looking for a used skidsteer. The backhoe attachment and a post hole digger will be my first attactments. What should I look for in a used skidsteer? How many hours should I look for? Can I buy a good machine for under 12K. Whats the best machine?

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

3. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Personally, I would prefer a tractor. I have used my skidsteer on an established lawn and tore it up pretty bad. Scott I do much of the same projects as you and I would go with a compact tractor. Lighter weight, with the right loader it will lift a 2000lb. load and is much more versatile. I have a backhoe for my skidsteer that is awesome but a three point for my tractor would be just as good. The skidsteer with hoe and 4-n-1 bucket weighs almost 9500lbs. I had to buy a bigger trailer to haul that much weight. I am leaning towards a new compact tractor and getting out from under the stiff payments on the skidsteer.

Regarding irrigation, I rented a Vermeer vibratory plow and pulled in over 1000ft of pipe in less than two hours with very little disturbance to the yard. Try that with a skid steer.

Matt